MerlinJones' Welsh Models 1/144 Vickers Varsity

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018 … no extensions!

Re: MerlinJones' Welsh Models 1/144 Vickers Varsity

Postby MerlinJones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:13

Wege wrote:This might be entirely too hard or impractical.... any chance of painting the 'cockpit cavity' to imply pilots or tinted glass and then fill the heck out of the cavity with ... pva or uhh... clear resin.. or.. that liquid-window stuff? Oh hang on.. what is the art product that goes on clear and dries hard.... not impasto.. but..? dang it.. don't recall.

I know what you're saying, but I'd have to obliterate the resin forward fuselage cockpit area to create a cavity in the first place and re-build it from scratch.
To be honest, I couldn't be arsed! :P
It was hard enough excavating the resin from the fuselage, without breaking into the surface of the model.

The problem with many older resin kits is the lack of transparencies. Only the Rolls Royce of resin, CMR, seemed capable of consistently producing clear stuff that wasn't a vacform acetate piece. Modern resin makers, of course, have no such issue and hollow fuselages are now the norm.
Welsh Models are clearly from an earlier era, albeit that it's only in recent years that they've transferred to resin.

(As an aside, traditional 1/144 resin makers F-Rsin now do short-run standard plastic).
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:17

F_IV wrote:I wonder if Welsh Models could be swayed to include pre-cast cavities in their resin castings which can accommodate nose weights? It would save customers a lot of messing about and probably save them quite a bit of resin in the long run.

I'm sure that would depend upon Welsh Models listening to the customer and believing it to be worth their while to change what they do.
If they really cared, then why not present the fuselage in two halves, front and rear? The front half could be drilled and filled with lead, the rear could be drilled and left empty.
That said, decent instructions seem beyond them with this kit and the Andover and that takes very little thought and effort to put right.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:06

In all respects, the conventional hollow fuselage halves (i.e. port and starboard) approach is the way to go. Not only does it alleviate all these tailsitting issues by providing a ready-made void for filling, it lightens the weight of the thing so you need much less ballast in the first place. And in terms of resin, Welsh would save themselves heaps in raw material costs and postage to purchasers (or, at least, improve their profit margin on postage). What baffles me is why a company traditionally into vacforms and, hence, fuselage halves would suddenly throw the baby out with the bathwater and go down the "solid lump" path.

No surprise on the F-Rsin front. In the long run, these larger resin kit manufacturers do the maths and find that investment in short-run injection moulding equipment can be cost effective if their sales are decent enough. After all, resin moulds have a far more limited lifespan than any short-run cast. Having said that, I wonder whether Anigrand will ever go down that path? Probably as much chance as seeing those good ol' extras being sold separately. :roll:
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (sole prototype), Hawker Hurricane Mk I (1 Sqn RAF), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn RAF), Focke-Wulf Fw190A-3 (RAE Farnborough)
Shelf of Shame - Bell P-63C-5-BE (G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:46

smeg1959 wrote:In all respects, the conventional hollow fuselage halves (i.e. port and starboard) approach is the way to go. Not only does it alleviate all these tailsitting issues by providing a ready-made void for filling, it lightens the weight of the thing so you need much less ballast in the first place. And in terms of resin, Welsh would save themselves heaps in raw material costs and postage to purchasers (or, at least, improve their profit margin on postage). What baffles me is why a company traditionally into vacforms and, hence, fuselage halves would suddenly throw the baby out with the bathwater and go down the "solid lump" path.

It's easier.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:49

You might've noticed the recessed windows. The instruction sheet states that the recesses are to facilitate painting. However, the sheet also recommends that, if I was to use the decal sheet and the windows provided on it, I should fill in the recesses.
Out with the filler...

Some sanding and wiping later...

I then set about adding coats of white.
(You'll notice that I've removed the tailplanes. This is to facilitate the addition of the decal windows and red cheat line later).

I'm now adding the red over the white...

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 20:40

Looking good. I can see what they were thinking when they recessed the windows, but why then provide nice decal windows? I suppose there are people out there who are very particular about the colour the windows are painted in (the decals are black but we've all seen model airliners with grey, silver or pale blue windows). Very odd.

Still - good progress there Merlin. That's coming along nicely and looks the part.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 16:09

there seems to be two types of Mr. Wades resin models -- some are made from brand new CAD produced master - the Andover, and the DHC-7 are in that group, then secondly - molds made using built up vintage vacuforms as the master, hence the depressed windows, (which formerly, one would cut out and filled with Klear). The WM Hastings is one of these I can tell you, as apparently this Varsity.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:07

ajmm wrote:Looking good. I can see what they were thinking when they recessed the windows, but why then provide nice decal windows? I suppose there are people out there who are very particular about the colour the windows are painted in (the decals are black but we've all seen model airliners with grey, silver or pale blue windows). Very odd.

Whilst I know it isn't the real reason, one possibility could have been to appeal to those looking to finish the kit in a different scheme and, hence, not using the supplied decals. However, anyone in this frame of mind would be better printing their own decal windows rather than futzing about trying to paint the inset areas. I did exactly this with my RAN version of the Minicraft C-47. Much easier and considerably neater, particularly for a cack-handed painter like moi.
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (sole prototype), Hawker Hurricane Mk I (1 Sqn RAF), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn RAF), Focke-Wulf Fw190A-3 (RAE Farnborough)
Shelf of Shame - Bell P-63C-5-BE (G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:36

Much masking did then occur...

The Modelling Gods were relatively 'generous';

Then, after studying too many on-line images, I noticed that the exhausts have metal protection plates;

More masking ahead...
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32

Good progress. This will look great when finished.

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

PreviousNext

Return to Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF