AJMM’s Scottish Aviation Bulldog

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018 … no extensions!

AJMM’s Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Postby ajmm » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:36

For years the RAFs initial trainer and used by countless University Air Squadrons.

This is the Anigrand kit that comes as a bonus with the Belfast. Simple kit and some warping of the starboard wing aside, assembly was near instantaneous so it wasn’t long before I was able to prime in white.

Then I masked off the red and painted that using a Vallejo red that looked appropriately bright.

The demarcation between white and red on the tail is proving a bit of a headache but not too much trouble I don’t think.

More soon. Thanks for looking!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: AJMM’s Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Postby F_IV » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:11

What a cutie!
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:41

Looking rather good there...

The Anigrand Bonus Kit Tease again!
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Thu Jul 05, 2018 20:44

Thanks! I’ve always thought it looked a bit silly, the Bulldog but it’s only a littleun so perhaps that’s harsh. I do have a thing for trainers. Merlin I do think these bonus kits bring out the perfectionist in me (not always in a healthy way) in that I know I’m only ever going to build one (short of buying another box) so agonise over schemes and aerials and other such details. Daft really, I know. Anyway.

More progress. I masked off the wings and sprayed some Light Aircraft Grey.

The results were satisfactory! Sufficiently satisfactory that I went onto do black nose anti glare bit. The rest of the evening has been spent refining the nose wheel with brass rod and wire (it had classic Anigrand elephantiasis). I also fettled with the canopy which looks like it will be a good fit (dry for now - needs some varnish to make it less cloudy).

More tomorrow I hope.

Angus
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:16

Motoring along ... as usual. Jealousy meter activated yet again. :mrgreen:

I always look at the Bulldog as been akin to the Kiwi CT-4 which has been used extensively by the RAAF - like a Piper or Cessna with an over-inflated canopy. For our part, we refer to the CT-4 as the "Plastic Parrot" because of the high-visibility fluoro orange scheme that many appeared in. The scheme on your little Bulldog isn't that far removed.
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (sole prototype), Hawker Hurricane Mk I (1 Sqn RAF), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn RAF), Focke-Wulf Fw190A-3 (RAE Farnborough)
Shelf of Shame - Bell P-63C-5-BE (G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Fri Jul 06, 2018 22:55

Thanks Smeg! Plastic Parrot made me smile… :D

More progress and nearly over the line with this one. I mentioned I scratch built the nose gear. I attached this and also the main gear. Alas some tail sitting did occur but I think that was rather inevitable really...

I also did some work perking up the cockpit. I added the centre console and some tape seat belts. I also added some control columns...

Pleasingly, some of this can even be seen (the gloss varnish on the canopy has made it much clearer).

I then added a small transparent plastic rod under the rear fuselage and also fixed the canopy in place, fairing this in and painting the frame.

Incidentally, this is really quite tiny. In case you couldn't tell.

Finally, I did some decal work this evening before retiring to my boudoir. The roundels are from the Mark1 set of generic Type D roundels - the Anigrand ones are horribly out of register, which is all the more noticeable on such a tiny roundel.

That photo seems to have gone a bit bananas. Not sure what happened there. Duck and cover stuff. Anyway, I have some more decals to do and need to finish painting the crazy striped pattern on the prop. But I'd say this is 90% complete now.

Until tomorrow.

p.s. looks like I need to lengthen that transparent plastic rod a bit - she seems to be doing a wheelie!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Fri Jul 06, 2018 22:59

By the way, should anyone reading this ever attempt this kit, the windows immediately aft of the canopy should be transparent all the way through. If I'd thought about it, before gluing wing to fuselage I could have drilled out the rear fuselage and filed out these two rectangular windows. This would have enabled you to see through and might also have helped a bit with tail sittery (though I doubt it). Also - on the subject - I notice that RAF Bulldogs had no horizontal glazing bar on this window. Bulldogs sold as trainers overseas did. Not sure why, but Anigrand have moulded this bar in place on the kit (lazily I simply painted over it and it's hardly visible - if you were a perfect human bean then you could remove it. Willpower eluded me...).
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:27

Looking fine so far...
No thoughts on drilling out the nose area for weight-adding?
In the 1/72 version, there's room in there for some lead and not a lot is needed. If you'd added crew, you could've put it on a stand. ;)
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06

Geeze that was quick ----- looking good, I wish I could build as quick and keep the QA up to par as you do. If I tried to do something that quick it would be a seething mess of glue smudge marks and bleeding paint edges..... :x

Great!

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby ajmm » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:10

Thanks Ian - I very much doubt that though!

Merlin - yes not much chance in this instance I don’t think. If this was injection moulder then perhaps...I considered it as you could drill out the rear too but I decided against it. Wasn’t convinced it would work. I don’t really have qualms about using a transparent rod to prop things up anyway. I find it’s barely noticeable most of the time.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF