Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Upping the ante... Mig88's Do 18G-1 (Miniwing)

The second year of WW2 is primarily remembered for the Battle of Britain, but there was far more besides, both from a military and a civilian perspective. So, eighty years hence, this Group Build is open to anything that was around in 1940, from fighter aircraft to armoured cars, from battleships to buses.
Runs from 8 February to 31 December 2020.
Tom's
Flight #288
Flight #288
France

Re: Upping the ante... Mig88's Do 18G-1 (Miniwing)

Post by Tom's »

Really nice painting !

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

Beautiful. It looks fantastic. :D

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

My Do24 is watching enviously ... :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

Thanks a lot guys!

Slow progress or procrastination in G Minor.

Do18-w23s.jpg
Here is the kit with the decals on. They are printed by Ykraft and had difficulty settling into panel lines despite reacting to Micro Sol. I used a knife to cut or push them into the panel lines. The yellow plane code letters came in a sickly yellow with minute red dots! I was able to overpaint them with a light coat of RLM04 Gelb and thus give them the right tone. The large white crosses on the wings should actually be further back with the rear tips on the flaps. I wasn't sure so I placed them forward only to find evidence later on. If anyone intends to build this kit, I suggest cutting off the rear bits dry before putting them in water. This decal wrinkled with the Micro Sol in some places and when I tried to fix it I only ended up removing decal as can be seen in the photo. Since touching up with white paint was very noticeable, I ended up overpainting both white crosses in full.

Do18-w24s.jpg
As mentioned before, the unit emblem in the decals was awful (on left). I've dabbed some paint on it (on right - sorry about the poor shot) to bring it closer to the real thing as shown in the centre.

While doing this, all progress slowed down completely as I was clearly procrastinating due to all the work still ahead!

Do18-w25s.jpg
Finally, I started getting things back on track and I assembled and painted the nose gun...

Do18-w26s.jpg
...and the rear cannon. I'm gambling I can slot the turret clear part into the cannon as I didn't seen any other way of assembling this. The cannon part actually fell inside the fuselage and I was lucky I was able to extract it!

And now the part that is actually giving me a thrill. I finally decided to build the beaching trolley loosely based on that made by Kora in resin in 1:72 and seen in several builds of the Matchbox kit and especially in the Britmodeller link Peter gave before.

Do18-w27s.jpg
This is the bottom structure made from Evergreen plastic strips. I've made a mistake in that the trolley will be longer than it should be. When I guesstimated the main measurements, the length I measured was for the top section which is longer than the bottom and I've made the bottom with that length! Oh well :roll: !

Do18-w28s.jpg
Further construction of the trolley. I've looked into my spares box and have already selected wheels to use. I don't recall where the grey unpainted ones come from but the (poorly) painted ones are from an Airfix Brewster Buffalo, among the first kits I build decades ago.... The smaller wheels which go fore and aft are Airfix BP Defiant (old kit) tailwheels. I must say this has given me a real thrill and only lack of available time due to other matters (such as posting all this ;) :lol: ) has kept me from getting more done.

Hopefully much more progress soon!

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

ID19
Flight #2
Flight #2
Germany

Post by ID19 »

Great craftsmanship! Can't wait seeing your progress on this one!
And a trolley from scratch - what are you going to tow it with? :roll:
Fritz

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Those inboard balkenkreuz on the wings?! Clearly, Oberleutnant Magoo kept shooting these things down, so the RLM decided some slightly bigger identification markings were required. :P

Excellent stuff, Miguel. Very creative fix on the unit emblem, and I love the fact that you needed to strip the tailwheel from two Airfix Defiants to help the build move forward. :lol:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Return to “Group Build 13: 1940”