Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Problems with F-Toys Decals

If you are not sure where to start posting, here would be a good place!
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Problems with F-Toys Decals

Post by TonyG2 »

Dont know if you have had the same issues but recently nearly all F-Toys deals old or new have been giving me trouble. For starers the adhesive is crap. It will not stick even to prepared gloss surfaces. Secondly, even where the adhesive has some sticking power, the decal is SO stiff that it will not conform to a curved surface. No matter how much microsol and microset I used it does not settle down. This has been a real bugger on he ribbed wing section of an F-4U Corsair.

Even when all seems to have gone ok and I have applied a final matt coat top seal everything in, the decal can still manage to peel off. I have taken to making a thin mix of white glue to dunk the decal in before applying. Not pretty but it does help.

Cafe Reo are no better. They disintegrate at the first opportunity.

Any suggestions? Is there a better setting solution that will work? I know the solution is to use aftermarket decals but that isn't always an option.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Problems with F-Toys Decals

Post by F_IV »

I used a combo of Tamiya Mark Fit to position the decal, then finished off with a top layer of Mr Color's Mr Mark Softer. This caused the F-toys decals to settle into the surface and surrounding panel lines extremely well. They still need a clear coat over the top however to fix the extreme glossiness.

rmasu
Flight Ace
Flight Ace

Post by rmasu »

The later decals goes well with Mr.Color softner and setter.
Older (early decals came only numbers and letters... and common misprinted.. these are not so good...)

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Thanks

I have some Tamiya solution (I think...) but Mr Colour Products are hard to find locally. See if I can get some over Ebay. Thanks all.

Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by Ryan B. »

Perhaps they made them thick for heavy-handed younger purchasers unskilled in decal application. Don't they know model making is for the skilled, old, and, usually, heavy-set? damnit!

Sergei
Rookie
Rookie
Scotland

Post by Sergei »

This has been a bugbear for me for ages, potentially spoiling what would otherwise be excellent little models.

I have arrived at a different solution which has worked well for me for the past year or so. Whilst the decals are still a single sheet I use a fine grade sanding sponge pad to gently scrub the whole sheet. This has two benefits - it removes the extreme gloss and thins the decals sufficiently so that they adhere to non-flat surfaces. I am still using Humbrol Decal Set and for me this has worked quite well. I then use a rattle can of Plastikote Satin varnish to seal everything. So far so good as long as you mask the canopy glazing before spraying.

Return to “1/144 General Discussion”