Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Roger Starlight, flashing my weapon now...

The second year of WW2 is primarily remembered for the Battle of Britain, but there was far more besides, both from a military and a civilian perspective. So, eighty years hence, this Group Build is open to anything that was around in 1940, from fighter aircraft to armoured cars, from battleships to buses.
Runs from 8 February to 31 December 2020.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Roger Starlight, flashing my weapon now...

Post by F_IV »

Inching forward...

Making a new tail from an F-toys Beaufighter which I hope to reproduce for both models. Also made the handholds and foot steps with a quick embossing tool made from a bit of one of those spinning steel brushes that a streetsweeper left behind (handy stuff, keep an eye out for them).

The long flowery version of this post was lost while uploading the pics, so I'll just leave the images for now. It's getting late. :|
IMG_8083.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8085.JPG
IMG_8086.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

Not too bad. I think they need to have a little more of a polish to tone down the ribs further, but it is looking okay.
It doesn't seem to make a difference whether you brush paint or spray the tapes while doing this. The only important thing is to leave it to dry overnight before sanding back the excess and peeling the tape off. A couple of spots were too thin. Either from not enough paint or being too heavy handed while cleaning them up. However it is possible to thicken up some areas here and there with a fine brush and blend it in with some more polish..
IMG_8093.JPG
IMG_8091.JPG

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

That's looking great so far!

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

ID19
Flight #2
Flight #2
Germany

Post by ID19 »

This is really great!
Seems you buy the kits only for the box art - contents requires improvement anyway ;)

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I just have to admire your skills. :o
David

Tom's
Flight #288
Flight #288
France

Post by Tom's »

It's just wonderful !

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

Thanks everybody for the great encouragement. I was able to dry fit the parts together today. :)
The revised tail sections were added during the week and flushed in more or less. A coat of primer this morning shows a few spots that need some attention so I'll have a go at that and give it another coat later. The portion of the cockpit below the glazing ought to be .5mm deeper, as I made the clear parts before referring to the Dekker plans. However I think I can correct this with a few layers of putty and a bit of a sand.
IMG_8174.JPG
IMG_8175.JPG
I'll need to do as much as I can on the airframe before blending in the glazing. The clear acrylic parts are extremely thin and I don't think I could bring myself to go through the whole process again if I were to break them. :(

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

You're right a bout the glazing. It is the most eye catching feature of the short nose Blenheim. May I ask why you are masking the frames rather than the clear area?
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

Ah, I always do that. It gives me a solid edge to place the real masking up against and allows me to get the frames looking much more consistent in width. It sounds like more work, but it actually makes things easier. Especially when there are no raised or engraved lines present on the parts.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

That’s disgustingly good. I’m glad to see the wingless issue has been overcome so deftly.

I’ll have to try that approach on vacform canopies in the future. I remember you did it for the battle. Mentally filed away under ‘excellent techniques I should try’

Return to “Group Build 13: 1940”