Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Miles to millimeters - Scratchbuilding a Magister M.14A

The second year of WW2 is primarily remembered for the Battle of Britain, but there was far more besides, both from a military and a civilian perspective. So, eighty years hence, this Group Build is open to anything that was around in 1940, from fighter aircraft to armoured cars, from battleships to buses.
Runs from 8 February to 31 December 2020.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Miles to millimeters - Scratchbuilding a Magister M.14A

Post by F_IV »

Actually it wasn't very far off that. :lol:

I finally attached the main wings and over the last few evenings built up the wing root fairings with thinned down Tamiya white putty. Mixing with thinners into a smooth consistency, you can float it on with a fine brush in such a way as to get it to naturally adopt the right contours. The main trick is not to work each layer too long to ensure that you maintain a smooth texture. The thinners causes the putty to stick extremely well, but it also causes it to shrink too. So a few coats are required to build up the shape. Only a little bit of sanding is needed afterwards.
IMG_8565.JPG
Still suffering from another attack of the clumsies, I did the sanding this morning prior to giving the whole thing a shot of primer. My opening swipe with the rolled up piece of wet and dry paper was more like an uppercut, and I batted the poor little Magister out of my hands and sent it flying. It was nowhere to be seen, and I leaned far out over the side of my rickety chair to try and see where it had gone...

It seemed to have vanished. Then to my horror I saw that it had landed between the seat of my chair and the wobbly plastic armrest, wedging itself hard between the two! The full force of the chair was bearing down on the space between the cockpits and I could not get it free. It was only by pulling downwards on the armrest and pulling at a wingtip with a pair of tweezers that I was able to coax it free. :shock:

By a miracle, the weight of the chair's armrest was bearing down right on the bulkhead between the two cockpits. Which prevented the thin styrene shell from being crushed. After sanding out a small dent and counting my blessings, I headed out to the balcony for a bit of a prime. Very careful to avoid stepping on the airbrush hose this time. :?
IMG_8573.JPG
I also started thinking about the undercarriage. These are omg delicate in 1/144, and as I was making the bits I was wondering if it was even going to work... I think not.

I think I might try something different. Instead of soldering up the undercarriage in full, I'll detail one wheel and attach the forks to it - then cast it in resin. That way I can drill right into the tyre to insert the remainder of the undercarriage leg, ensuring a good strong joint. Well, that's the plan anyway! :lol:
IMG_8580.JPG

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

ohhh geee disaster avoided ....if it was me it would have been in 3 bits. Good progress.

Ian

ID19
Flight 10
Flight 10
Germany

Post by ID19 »

Looking better every time! I'll continue watching the tutorial and will definitely go for the trick of brushing on thinned putty (I tried Green Stuff instead, but that has limitations on larger areas)!
As to your (close to) disasters: Sure you didn't annoy anybody at Miles Aircraft? Seems like somebody is sitting there with a needle and a voodoo model doll of your workbench :lol:

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

That's looking fantastic!
I was wondering how you were going to tackle the undercarriage... Looking forward to the results.

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

Fabiolone
Flight #144
Flight #144
Italy

Post by Fabiolone »

This is a real work of art, I always admire this kind of skills, unattainable for me. Hats of to you!

I really love this plane, and probably (we could say surely) it will be a HM kit.

Anyway I can wait to see the final result of your work. If you need some help to produce the decals for it, please let me know.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Fabiolone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44
I really love this plane, and probably (we could say surely) it will be a HM kit.
Ah now you tell me! :o :lol:
It would be nice to do a few more though, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Thanks too for the kind words and the offer of help with the decals. I might have enough in the spares box to get me through. I just need to decide which one to do. Initially I was going to choose G-AFBS stationed at Woodley in 1940, however its a fairly obvious one. I had hoped to find some info on the Magister based at Manston, which was flown into occupied France just after Dunkirk by a pilot named Leathart to fetch his stranded Squadron Leader. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck on that score yet.

With that in mind I'm leaning towards a Magister coded T9736 which was based at Carlisle in 1940. It also had the distinction of serving on into 1941 and being stolen by Schnabel and Wappler. These weren't so much a couple of German techno musicians, or a set of fancy stereo speakers. They were actually a pair of escaped Luftwaffe PoW's who hijacked the plane in an unsuccessful bid for freedom. Should make for an interesting subject... :lol:

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Fabiolone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44
Music to my ears, Fabio. :D
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Had a fairly productive weekend. After having a change of plans with the undercarriage I shaped the fork so that the legs had a slight taper, then prepared to attach it to the wheel. It promptly pinged out of my tweezers and was lost to the carpet.

Fortunately I still had the other one that was still stuck on the end of a long piece of brass tube. Using it as a handle I attached the wheel and trimmed the whole unit off after the glue had set. To ensure the wheel didn't go the same way as the first, I stuck some tape to the end to make it less aerodynamic and easier to find if the worst happened. :twisted:
IMG_8599.JPG
That seemed to do the trick. After that I made a little mould of the wheel assembly and set it aside to cure. I seem to have a nasty allergy to resins but a little bit now and again is tolerable.

The tailplane was attached at last and the fillets ahead of it were added from thin styrene sheet. The vertical stabiliser was added after, and the battle to blend it in commenced. There are also some raised strips on the Magister wings that cover the joint between the inner and outer sections. These were masked and sprayed with primer to build up some height. Makes for a nice detail.
IMG_8604.JPG
I also fussed around with the cowling. Still some work to do there...
IMG_8605.JPG
Did some very light scribing too. The ailerons on Magisters look quite smooth in real life so I left them as they were.
IMG_8611.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG
Then started having a go at the undercarriage. They are (or rather, it) is definitely strong enough. The trick is drilling the hole for the strut perfectly central. I've only managed it once so far. Hopefully I can do another soon. But for now... I'm spent. :lol:
IMG_8618.JPG
IMG_8621.JPG

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Stunning progress. So envious ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

strobez
Flight #2
Flight #2
Korea South

Post by strobez »

This is like watching a magician at work... I see the result, I’m stunned, and Inhave no idea how it’s done..,
Thanks, Greg

Feel free to check out my blog - https://strobez.ca/wp/

Return to “Group Build 13: 1940”