Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Platz Shinden-Kai with lots of wear and tear

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
Tim R-T-C
Flight #4
Flight #4

Platz Shinden-Kai with lots of wear and tear

Post by Tim R-T-C »

I picked the Platz double boxing a while ago and thought it would be a good tester to play with weathering techniques

So I brush painted with Vallejo Air IJN Dark Green over Tamiya silver from a can, with Vallejo chipping medium applied inbetween.

It worked great, lots of paint flakes that captured the look of the well worn late war prototypes.

The kit was very good, although it is necessary to change the tailfin for ones on an included mini-sprue. Decals are well designed with loads of options, spares for small details and even extra numbers to make your own serials. However the small prop decals would simply not stay in place so I abandoned these and painted tips on instead.

The bottom image is from the great Osprey book on the type.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Re: Platz Shinden-Kai with lots of wear and tear

Post by ajmm »

That’s come out very nicely - congratulations. I might need to pick up some chipping medium when I do mine.

spejic
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by spejic »

Yeah, that chipping medium really did a much better job than any kind of overpaint with silver. Good job with the kit.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Seems to be one of those oddities of WW2 that most photos of aircraft with chipped paint as extensive as this are IJN or IJA. Suggests that the surface prep or quality of the coatings being used didn't square up with their Allied counterparts. You've nailed the finish perfectly! :D

PS. Nitpicking time ... the N1K2 is the Shiden-Kai ("Violet Lightning - Modified"). No "n". The Shinden ("Magnificent Lightning") is the Kyūshū J7W1 with its characteristic canard arrangement. :geek:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Return to “1/144 Aviation & Aircraft”