Blenheim, Beaufort and Beaufighter differences

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subject, if it flies.... it goes here!

Blenheim, Beaufort and Beaufighter differences

Postby pbhawkin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:19

Hi all,
As you know I make a 1/144 Beaufighter (about to be released in the next 7 days!) and am thinking that perhaps I could use the wings etc for a Beaufort (they are the same I believe) and maybe a Blenheim.
Any experts out there who can advise what I might need to do or change apart from a new fuselage of course!! I think the undercarriage is the same as are the horizontal tailplanes too.

regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Re: Blenheim, Beaufort and Beaufighter differences

Postby AntSizedMan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 20:33

Cool new about the Beaufighter, had a look at the casting on your site and the detail looks fantastic.

Had search to see if i could find a guide but no luck, be fanatastic if you could make them available, espeacially the Blenhiem. Really like the Blenhiem as it was my 3rd kit built as a child after the spitfire and Hurricane, airfix maybe.
AntSizedMan
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby moresby » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:45

I haven't been able to find same scale drawings: however, I'm afraid you won't be able to use the same wing and elevators without modifications: perhaps the rudder is the only common part.

Last edited by moresby on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:43, edited 1 time in total.
moresby
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby Dirkpitt289 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:17

How much will you be charging for the little beau? :P
Dirkpitt289
Flight #6
Flight #6

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 14:01

AntSizedMan wrote:Cool news about the Beaufighter, had a look at the casting on your site and the detail looks fantastic.

Had search to see if i could find a guide but no luck, be fanatastic if you could make them available, especially the Blenheim. Really like the Blenheim as it was my 3rd kit built as a child after the spitfire and Hurricane, airfix maybe.

My recollection of 1/72nd scale Blenheims in the Good Ol' Days is that Frog did a Mk I or Mk IB and Airfix did a Mk IV. Of course, Frog disappeared into the ether but the Airfix Blenheim survives to this day. Both versions have been done in 1/144 - Atlas Editions have a diecast Mk IV in Free French camo, whilst Diverse Images issued limited editions in pewter of a Mk I of No. 62 Squadron and two Mk IV's, one from No. 114 Squadron, the other from the same Free French as the Atlas item. All three are well and truly OOP, and the Diverse Images' releases command very high prices (around 70 quid on evilBay).

Both companies are also responsible for the lion's share of Beauforts in 1/144, too. The Diverse Images' Mk I is finished as the No. 42 Squadron aircraft that FO Campbell flew in an attack on the Gneiseneau in Brest harbour. Campbell was killed in the attack and was awarded the VC posthumously. The Atlas variant is a Mk IB finished as a Coastal Command bird, although the colours look decidedly odd in the photos I've seen. Again, both are OOP. I recall Bruce Scott telling me about a 1/144 Beaufort made by Airspede, but I've never seen photos of one.

I know Bruce has the Atlas version, so he may be able to comment on the accuracy (or otherwise) of both model and finish.

There's a nice set of Blenheim 3-views on Wikipedia you can download (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Bristol_Blenheim.png) which make an interesting contrast with those for the Beaufighter (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Bristol_Beaufighter.svg). The linage from Blenheim to Beaufort to Beaufighter is certainly apparent and the wing sections look similar, but I'd like to see the three superimposed as Moresby's profiles suggest decided differences, irrespective of the profiles being drawn to different scales.

And I'll place advance orders for both Blenheim and Beaufort, Peter! :)
On the Bench ...
Anigrand: SK P.14.01, Fi166, R2Y Keiun
Bandai: P-40C Tomahawk (RAAF, USAAC repaints)
Zvezda: LaGG-3 (love that plastic ... not!)
Peter's Planes: DAP Beaufort Mk VIII, Spitfire Mk XIVe
Arrowhead/WGS: Austin Tilley, AEC Matador, Bedford OYD
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby zap123 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:21

The Beaufort is typically Atlas. Good general outline, bad fit, bad paint and poor detail parts. I think they tried for dark sea grey and dark slate grey but the actual result is nowhere near either. It looks more like dunklegrun and olive drab. Upper surface roundels are a nice shade of purple. There is a little engine detail, wheels are only vaguely accurate. Sqd code is MW-R and serial LS378 (or less likely 878).
zap123
Flight #8
Flight #8

Postby pbhawkin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:20

Here is a Beaufighter wing in Blue overlaid onto a Beaufort wing from the top view.
Also side view with the Beaufighter wing in Purple.
The wing profile is the same.
Obviously the engine on the Beaufort is 'underslung' as oppossed to the Beaufighter's midmounting.
beaufighter beaufort.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53

I actually had that Frog early Blenhiem 1/72 kit once and never got around to building it. Here is a good example of the buildabilty and the sheer collectability of 144th. When I was into 1/72, at its peak in 1985, I had about 120 built kits and some 400 unbuilt before divesting in a change of hobby. This time as I apogee'ed on 144th in June, I had close to 400 built kits and just over 100 unbuilt. The exact opposites! 8-)
Russ

Postby moresby » Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:11

About Atlas Bristols...

I agree with Zap 123 comment and add a few more: fixed propellers, no panel lines (except for rudder, elevators and ailerons), large seams, badly fitting canopies, terrible underside 'disks' (quite hard to remove). And then there are the ghastly undercarriage wells: box-shaped holes cast in solid metal wings: fixing them properly for us plastic (or resin) modellers can be filed as 'mission: impossible'. Adding wheel well doors you can try to mask them a little.
These are my Atlas Blenheim and Beaufort: I have sealed seams and display stand holes, tried a quick repaint and added basic decals: I've even tried to reproduce the correct undercarriage wells shape with black paint.

I'm thinking about a better paint job, maybe after an attempt at scribing a few panel lines...

Last edited by moresby on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
moresby
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby zap123 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38

Nice touch up, but the 'Fort would have looked much more fetching in RAAF colours :D
zap123
Flight #8
Flight #8

Next

Return to 1/144 Aviation & Aircraft