Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Liquid Green Stuff by Games Workshop

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
TonyG2
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
England

Liquid Green Stuff by Games Workshop

Post by TonyG2 »

Came across this today and bought a pot. Not used any yet. Has no relationship to real Green Stuff and us water soluble so sounds like green valejo etc.

Anyone tried it? Anything to watch out for when using it?

ID19
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
Hamburg

Re: Liquid Green Stuff by Games Workshop

Post by ID19 »

Do you mean the Citadel technical liquid green stuff?

If so, yes, I use it quite frequently. This stuff is indeed water soluble and that's why I use it as an alterntive for putty or super glue. You can mix your desired texture with water and easyly wipe off excess. Whe dry, you can remove the stuff from places, where it shouldn't have gone with a toothpick or your fingernail. Dry it can be cut, carefully(!) sanded and painted.
On the downside it does wear off when touched too often, reacts to water and, depending on your mixture, shrinks considerably when drying. Quite often a second application is required.
You can hardly do anything wrong, as you can almost always remove it without a trace. I use it for small gaps levelling smaller areas and filling dents etc. Not so suitable for larger areas.

TonyG2
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

Yep that's the stuff. I've tried other water soluble fillers and I'm not impressed. As you say, it doesn't fill large areas but large is relative. And from what I can tell this only provides acceptable results on really small areas.

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

It seems to work like the white masonry plaster I often use.

Finely grained, water soluble, easy to remove, to shape or to smooth with water: I use it on pre-painted models when I want to keep the colours and the surface intact, with minimal sanding (or no sanding at all); good for part junction lines, especially along blended wing roots

When dried it doesn't have the hardness of modelling putty but it's easily removed and smoothed with a wet swab. If you happen to overdo in the removal/smoothing proces, just repeat the operation; a bit of gloss clear paint can be used to fix it on the model and to reduce the surface porosity. Then you only have to paint over the junction lines with matching colours (and if the model is white (as in a winter camouflaged plane) you migthn't even need that.

My only problem is that I use it in small quantities and it dries up a bit after the jar gets opened several times. However, at only 1,00 € each it's not a big loss.

Like Green Stuff, only waaay cheaper and easier to find...

TonyG2
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

Whereas GW Green Stuff Is £4.00 for a really small pot.....

ID19
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
Hamburg

Post by ID19 »

TonyG2 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 14:44
Whereas GW Green Stuff Is £4.00 for a really small pot.....
But it is soluble and doesn't dry up. Plus, as we all agree, it should only be used for small areas. . . :mrgreen:

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

Fair enough, but you can't you use Green Stuff to fix a scratch or creak on a wall ;)

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”