Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

dayglo paints

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

dayglo paints

Post by BigReg »

Any tips on brush painting this enamel paint. (apart from don't!)

David

ID19
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Hamburg

Re: dayglo paints

Post by ID19 »

1. go for option two
2. buy a rattle can
3. If 1. and 2. are no option: size does matter, whole aircraft or larger panels or only small parts like tip tank portions or the like. If only parts are to be painted day glo, paint them first generously over the intended borderlines, then mask and apply the other color(s).
4. make a base paint as light as possible: white :mrgreen: , yellow :mrgreen: ( again: rattle can) or if nothing else is possible, the lightest grey. That is usually covering quite well.
5. give it a coat or two of thinned white, doesn't have to cover, just to make the base as light as possible.
6. should the plastic of your kit be white anyway, forget steps 3. and 4. and give it a coat of matt clear only.
7. now stir your day glow orange well ( seriously consider options 1. and 2. again), take a suitable potty and mix the enamel with thinner to a grade you can brush it evenly and smooth. Use a not too hard, flat brush. Doesn' t matter how it looks after the first coat(s), just make sure, everything remains smooth.
8. Let dry as long as required (very(!) much depending on the color you're using; matt or satin dries quicker than gloss usually)
9. repeat steps 7. and 8. until you're happy with the result.
10. Don't be impatient: One coat of too thick paint can easily ruin the whole finish. Better one more thin layer; thin enough the paint will settle automatically in the concave areas of the last layer and you get an even paint job.
11. Don't forget that day glo reacts very quickly to sun light, so some areas with a little faded color are no catastrophy at all.
12. Be proud of your job.
13. Recall, how much time and effort you invested. Reconsider options 1. and 2. for the next time - or at least, using acrylics. The procedure is the same, but they dry much(!) faster.
14. I know you are aware of most, if not all that already. Bottom line is: I brush many thin layers.
But maybe this almost entirely serious tutorial helps others as well - if only to have somebody to blame should it go wrong! 8-)
Fritz

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Fritz, thank you for your erudite reply. The area to be covered is only about 2 square cm. I tried day glow decals but they won't conform to curves. I couldnt get the acrylic version locally, so I could do option 2 but the nearest stockists is a two hour drive away.

Regards,

David

ID19
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Hamburg

Post by ID19 »

David, I'd always prefer acrylics to enamels - much easier to handle and correct.
So I would probably try to mix the orange from yellow and red in acrylics rather than use enamel day glo. For me(!), that's close enough( compare my Albatross, that was Vallejo bright red and deep yellow).
Don't know what your subject is, but most day glo areas on the real things look very 'orange' when not freshly painted.

Leo - zd
Flight #144
Flight #144
Croatia

Post by Leo - zd »

After my experience with orange for lifeboat on Catalina, I must completely agree with the Fritz's steps proposal.
Maybe I could add two other suggestions
4. consider Fritz's step 2
5. consider my step 4 ;)

And as I use enamels, used Revell fluoorange...... :lol: I am curious how many layers they used on the cap of the can !? ten or more :mrgreen:
a) I was wrong that white and yellow were the worse in covering.
b) first layers after I passed the brush with color, nothing !!! or just a bit of color on surface.
Anyway if you use this tipe of colors with brush take it with calm an enaough time , and as Fritz said good , werry good base and first layer of white , mat white.

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”