Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Army Painter Speed Paint/Citadel Contrast Paints

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Army Painter Speed Paint/Citadel Contrast Paints

Post by TonyG2 »

Not sure if this is the right place for this but...

Recently been looking at the Army Painter Speed Paint range and equivalent Citadel Contrast paints. These are intended for use on gaming minis especially figures. The idea is that you undercoat the figure with a light undercoat and then apply the Speed Paint/Contrast like a wash. It "stains" the high points and collects in lines and folds forming darker shading. Ideally it means you avoid all the base coating, shading and highlighting with just a single coat and save a LOT of time.

Now I have been using Tamiya panel line paints and Bandai Gundam Fine Line markers for years to pick out panel lines on aircraft kits and with OK results. The range of colours is limited (grey black and brown essentially) so was wondering if anyone has tried using the Speed Paint/Contrast paints for panel lines and the like on a/c kits especially where the colours of, say, the Tamiya panel line marker paints are too stark. I'm just not sure that, say, a dark green panel line on green cammo would look any better than dark grey or black. I may try myself on an older kit that I dont mind messing up but if anyone has already tried it, why reinvent the wheel?

spejic
JV 144
JV 144
United States of America

Re: Army Painter Speed Paint/Citadel Contrast Paints

Post by spejic »

These would be the wrong paints for model washing as is. They are designed to still have a color on the higher parts - lighter than the recesses, but still colored.

Citadel makes washes. They are useful for highly detailed parts that you want to add shadow to, like landing gear bays (or landing gears, for that matter). But washes are easy to make out of various paints - just dilute them a lot. I personally like watercolor paint in lots of water - very forgiving with results that look like the expensive stuff.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”