Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Looking for Opinion on Airbrushes

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Looking for Opinion on Airbrushes

Post by TonyG2 »

I am thinking of upgrading my airbrush. At present I am using a Revell Master Class Vario which I have had no problems with (other than the usual constant maintenance issues).

I have been using the standard propellant cans but recently they have become harder to obtain with local stores closing or no longer stocking them. So i have been looking at Revells Basic Set with the 2022 Compressor. Its a bit pricey but long term would be a saving on propellant can costs.

The airbrush doesn't look quite as good as the Vario and its a single action not a double. The Vario is a double action. The alternative would be to get a separate compressor but so far as I can see, Revell don't sell their smaller compressor units separately.

I am guessing that the connection for the Vario would also work with the compressor from the set but it doesn't say so in the description on Revells site. Anyone know for sure? I mean the airbrush in the set looks OK....I guess. But the Vario alone is only slightly cheaper than the compressor set so that either says a lot about the compressor or the airbrush.

Any thoughts?

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Looking for Opinion on Airbrushes

Post by F_IV »

I can highly recommend this one if you are on a budget. I’ve bought several types of low cost airbrushes over the years, but this one with the Dynamic Power branding runs as sweet as a nut and gives an amazing finish. I picked up another one recently to use just for metallics.
s-l500a.jpg
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40028048596 ... media=COPY

The other recommendation would be to get rid of the air cans and buy a small 1/6hp compressor. These ones are available just about everywhere and are very inexpensive for what they can do for your enjoyment of the hobby. They are quiet enough to use in a domestic environment too.
s-l500.jpg
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6HP-Air-C ... SwGzlTxjDJ

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Can concur with F_IV. I do have a somewhat more expensive Sparmax airbrush nowadays, but bought a very serviceable AB from just that evilBayer depicted in F_IV's reply some years earlier. Whilst you always get modellers raving that you must buy a really expensive beast, like one of the Iwata range, it often comes down to finances and your own abilities. Quite frankly, I doubt I'd do any better with an Iwata than I am with my Sparmax.

My compressor is way older, dating back to the 1970's when I splashed out and bought a Paasche AB (heaven knows where that disappeared to - came back from studying interstate in the 1990's and it had vanished into a parallel universe). If you look after the compressor, it will last for ages. Mind you, I have heard that some of the newer cheaper varieties don't last, so it pays to check out the model you intend to buy (if you do).

If I have some spare $$$, I will probably get one of these Dynamic Power thingies so I can keep one AB for acrylics and the other for lacquers like Hataka and SMS. Oh, and one final thing. Go for the combo of double-action, gravity feed and a finer needle like 0.3mm. I started life with the old Badger single-action suction arrangement and you cannot get anywhere near the control that you do with gravity feed, particularly with some of the finer work needed for 1/144.
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
Other - Arado Ar196A-1 (F-Toys)

nils
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
Belgium

Post by nils »

i have used the Revell starter set for a very long time, but when my nozzle was worn out and needed replacement, the price for the parts was so high (nearly half the cost of a new starter set), it was cheaper to replace the whole thing.

as im also on a tight budget, i went with Fengda and bought 2 paintguns, a cleaning pot and a compressor, and it cost me less then 200 euro's.
these are easy and cheap to come by, work quite well and spare- or replacement parts can be easely found on aliexpress.

https://www.fengda-europe.com/

https://www.airbrush-fengda.co.uk/
on the bench:
-2 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF & France) ON HOLD
-Area 88 Air Base diorama

spejic
JV 144
JV 144
United States of America

Post by spejic »

In this scale a built in gravity feed is really useful. You can literally paint with a single drop of paint. If you are not painting things in 1/48 scale or larger, you probably end up wasting more paint than you use in a side feed or siphon airbrush. Given the costs of hobby paints, a little bit more spent on the brush now means a lot less money spent on paints later.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates

Catherder
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Catherder »

I used a Paasche VL for many years and more recently acquired an Iwata Neo (not terribly expensive in the US) but I have to admit to only using them as ‘spray guns’, nothing subtle at all. Both are very good but like all airbrushes can be finicky and need periodic disassembly and cleaning. And this is always just when you want to use it for something important.
I also have three compressors - an industrial unit that is great but vibrates and wakes the entire house, a very subtle Iwata unit that I find completely useless (remembering that I only spray overall paint coats so subtlety isn’t a strong point!) and an old Badger that I bought for $5 at a local hobby club.
Hope this helps.

Andy

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Catherder wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 21:05
I used a Paasche VL for many years ...
So THAT'S where my one went. These wormholes are bigger than I thought! :o
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
Other - Arado Ar196A-1 (F-Toys)

stu_fishing
Flight #3
Flight #3
Austria

Post by stu_fishing »

Used several Revell and no-name airbrushes, even an Aztek, once I got to a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Chrome I never looked back..worth every penny. Gravity fed, supereasy to clean, and with changeable needles and nozzles 0.15/0.2/0.4 fit for every job, just a lot of fun to work with.
Anyway the first thing would be a compressor..don`t go for the Revell stuff as you cannot adjust pressure which is crucial imho. I use something in this direction:

https://www.guede.com/cgi-bin/twinkleco ... itcount=30&

I really recommend to invest in a good airbrush and compressor and skip i few kit purchases to improve build quality.

Silenoz
Flight #144
Flight #144
Belgium

Post by Silenoz »

If you want a cheap compressor, you can adapt one from an old fridge from the scrapyard I've heard.

My first AB was a cheap one from Evilbay. A Chinese replica (0,3mm nozzle, sidefeed cup), just to learn the trade and stuck with it for over 10 years. Recently I've upgraded to H&S Evolution. Took some time to adapt I must say... but I'm happy

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”