Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Stripping Acrylic Paint with Dettol???

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Stripping Acrylic Paint with Dettol???

Post by TonyG2 »

OK this is an odd one. I came across a YouTube hobby video the other day where they used Dettol antiseptic to strip acrylic paint from a wargames figure.

Not something I have tried myself and am reluctant to experiment with any models such as F-Toys or Cafe Reo. Frankly it sounds unlikely. The active ingredients include Chloroxylenol and isopropyl alcohol. The isopropyl might play a part but I doubt the antiseptic is going to work on the paint. But has anyone tried this?.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Stripping Acrylic Paint with Dettol???

Post by smeg1959 »

Chloroxylenol is an antiseptic which has been found effective for treating surfaces contaminated by the SARS-Cov-2 virus. One of the stranger applications has been in eradicating the cane toad in northern Queensland as it has been found to be toxic to this invasive pest. However, I gravely doubt it could also eradicate paint off a model. As you pointed out, the most probable agent doing anything to the acrylic would be the isopropanol. The only positive with using Dettol would be a paint- and microorganism-free model! :roll:
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)

Catherder
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Catherder »

It’s a helluva stuff if it eliminates Covid, kills Cane Toads and strips paint! Not sure that I’d want to gargle with that :D

Andy

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Definitely not if you are a cane toad self-medicating for COVID ... :P
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”