Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Paint Matches for Gashapon

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
mbittner
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: Yes
United States of America

Paint Matches for Gashapon

Post by mbittner »

Does anyone have any good paint matches for Japanese gashapon kits? For example, I just received a JWings F-105G (in SEA colors) in the mail and it needs work on the seams. As opposed to redoing everything, I would like to just touch up the areas with paint (and hope for the best ;) ).

Thanks.
Matt Bittner
Managing Editor
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com/

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Re: Paint Matches for Gashapon

Post by pbhawkin »

Hi Matt.
Other than some Luftwaffe RLM matches that I have posted here previously I haven't done any Allied camo paint matches to F-toy models.
I do have some of the Algernon planes (Sunderland with Dark Sea Greay and Slate Grey), Wing Kit Collection 7 (S) Aussie Tomahawk in ? Foliage Green and ??Dark Brown, WKC7 Aircobra (with the white stripes) in Overall OD and WKC4 Spitfire in TLS and innvasion stripes. Also WKC6 Seafury in Aussie Sky and Blue.
There are others as well in the stash that I could have a trial at matching some of the common colours.
I have no jets though.
If people could give me a list of common colours to be matched (ie Green and brown of TLS Spitfire in WKC planes or Slate Grey and DSK from Algernon planes) then I could have a go.
I would think RAF, FAA, RAAF and USA common colours.
Regards
Peter

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Ok I have started to compile a list of colours on planes and will cross reference with hobby paint matches.
So far I have:
-WKC4 Spitfire: Sky, Medium Sea Grey, Dark Green and Ocean Grey. (Polly Scale and Mr Hobby Color looking good so far).
- WKC versus series 2 (Tempest):
Interior Green = H422 Aqueous Hobby Color RLM82,
Medium Sea Grey = Tamiya XF-83,
Dark Green = no exact match,
Ocean Grey = Tamiya XF-82 or Polly scale Br Ocean Grey (with a little white),
Sky = Tamiya XF-76
- Algernon Sunderland: Slate Grey and Dark Sea grey.
- WKC7 Aussie Tomahawk: yet to do research to determine what colour it should be.
- WKC7 Aircobra (with the white stripes): yet to do research to determine what colour it should be.
Tamiya 'Rubber Black' XF-85 matches exactly the Black on the F-toys night fighter Beaufighter special.

24 Jan 2014
just to let people know that the following paints are exact matches for the F-toys colours that I have found (note, that the F-toys rendition of these RLM colours may not be that accurate when compared to Merrick's paint chips, but is not too far off and is quite acceptable):
RLM22 (night Black). PollyScale acrylic rlm22.
RLM65 (light Blue). PollyScale acrylic rlm65. Vallejo 'Model Air' 71008 rlm65.
RLM70 (black Green). PollyScale acrylic rlm70. Vallejo 'Model Air' 71021 rlm70.
RLM71 (dark Green). PollyScale acrylic rlm71 (slight hue difference that is hidden by a future and flat coat).
RLM76 (light Blue) JPS light Blue rlm76 (not available any more).
RLM82 (dark Green) Vallejo Model Color 70892 'yellow olive'
RLM83 (light Green) Pollyscale acrylic rlm83

26 July 2016
colour matches for Amercom Ju290:
Black colour (RLM72) colour matches perfectly to Humbrol Acrylic 243 RLM72 (with Tamiya XF-85 also matching except in sheen).
Green colour (think it is RLM 83 (late war colour) but should be RLM73 (maritime colour)) matches Lifecolor 511 RLM83.
For the RLM73 I used Humbrol Acrylic 244 RLM73.
Underside and fuselage sides are Rlm65 and a perfect match is Lifecolor UA503 RLM65.

31 Nov 2016
WKC13 Fw190A-4
RLM74 very close to 'new' Humbrol acrylic 244 (which is actually supposed to be RLM73!)
RLM75 Mr Hobby Aqueous hobby color H69 RLM75 with just a drop or two of Pollyscale RLM76 to lighten it!
RLM76 Pollyscale RLM76
RLM04 (Gelb) Testors model Master 2072 with a touch of Red
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

This is an interesting topic as it reflects one of the approaches to improving trading miniatures, namely pulling any pre-assembled components like fuselage halves apart, gluing all of the parts in the same manner as a traditional injection-moulded kit, carefully filling any voids with either a slight excess of superglue or a fine filler like Mr Surfacer 1000, a little judicious sanding then touching up the manufacturer's paint job where required.

When I first started collecting these things in 2006, I found that filling was pretty minimal with many examples from Takara and Bandai, and the prefinished paint jobs were often excellent (some of Takara's long-OOP Bf109's and Fw190's are still a pleasure to behold). More recently, however, I am finding that I can't simply touch up here and there, not because of any problems with the fit of parts but rather because of very poor painting by the manufacturer. And the main culprit is F-Toys. Yes, I did give a glowing review to F-Toys' JV44 Fw190D-9 elsewhere and was pretty happy with the same company's Aleutian Tiger P-40E and Kingfisher, but that's where the bouquets end.

Having just looked at yet another abominable paint job on a WKC 7 release, the RAF P-39Q - a large area of the grey on the cowling is missing and there's a sizeable run of dried lacquer in the same region that will require significant sanding to remove - it's becoming less a case of touching up and more a case of completely repainting these things. Sad really, as many recent gashapon are exhibiting excellent detailing particularly in areas such as cockpits. As one of the prefinished disasters is on my RAAF P-40E "secret item", I am now questioning buying these more expensive items. If I have to completely repaint the thing, I might as well buy one of the common versions, give it a fine sand, a spray of primer, then refinish it as the "secret item". Decals can be an issue, but there are increasing number of 3rd party options now.

OK, whinge over!

Re: paint matches for other manufacturers' gashapon or where F-Toys got it right (!), I haven't yet found any paint that exactly match those areas needing touching up. My approach is to take a paint of similar colour and start by adding in small volumes of other colours I feel are likely to get me to the required tone. Most recently, I needed to touch up the deep blue around the cowl of my Kingfisher, the two-tone blue version on the USS New York (Seaplane Collection 2 No. 3A). I started with Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue, added small amounts of XF-18 Medium Blue (to get the colour a bit greyer) and XF-17 Sea Blue, then tweaked the result with a tiny bit of XF-2 White. To check my final blend, I applied a small amount on the sprue that had overspray from the cowl. When I was finally happy with the result, I then touched up the Kingfisher itself.

Incidentally, Peter, F-Toys' brown on Dick Cresswell's RAAF P-40E is way too light. From what I can gather, the aircraft has the standard RAAF Pacific Theatre scheme of the time, namely Dark Earth, Foliage Green and Medium Sea Grey. The following FS colours have been proposed, based on actual colour chips:

Green FS 34096
Brown FS 30095 (30118 is also close)
Grey FS 36622, but a little more blue (note the official match was closer to FS 36463)

There is some argument that the green was more the standard RAF Dark Green than the Aussie Foliage Green. I'll probably go with the latter as it give me an excuse to buy that Lifecolor RAAF paint set! ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

If you can get hold of it I find Vallejo aluminium is a perfect match for whatever natural metal f-tots kits there are. Worked a treat tidying up paintwork on all the VS edition P-51s anyway.

mbittner
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by mbittner »

Wow, this was four years ago and still the F-105G sits <groan>. Ah well, one of these days I'll find matches for it. :D
Matt Bittner
Managing Editor
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com/

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Decent FS matching chart here

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorchart ... rts_fs.htm

Can't swear to how well their suggested paints will match F-Toys/JWings paints though.

I have used this as a guide

FS Numbers are Tan - 30219, Green - 34079, Green - 34102 and Grey - 36622

Tamiya Paint Matching gives XF27=34079, XF52= 30219 and XF19=36622. For some reason there is no match to Green 34102. You might try XF-58 but it needs to be lightened.

So long since I bought any I don't know if Humbrol do authentic colours any more in either enamel or acrylic. XtraColour are really good but glossy so not much help.

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Damn I always liked the Humbrol range albeit enamels and not their acrylics (which seemed to be gritty). Perhaps that was because they were easy to find in the shops at one time. Have lots of cans that are very very old and I suspect of no use. Of course wont know for sure unless I open them (bit like an old bottle of wine I guess).

These days I tend to use acrylics only but limited to:

Tamiya Acrylics
Games Workshop
Xtracrlix (Hannants)

I have a fair number of the Hannants brand but sue them less often as I have a sort of old fashioned "that aint right" reaction to paints that are gloss but are supposed to be matt. OK I know. When I paint them in matt I then add a gloss coat before adding the decals. I never claimed to be logical....

GW are excellent for brush painting with just water to thin them and I have used them successful in an airbrush (well mixed and thinned is a must). But there is a problem with GW (beside the price :shock: ) First they do not quote any authentic colours. Well no surprise there as they are not intended for real world applications. Its not to difficult to do some paint matching and use straight from the bottle although I tend even then to use them for SF kits such as Trek models. But they have a tendency of changing paint names and shades (practically monthly) so colours soon disappear from the range.

Tamiya are probably my favourite. At first I was annoyed when they moved from the larger bottles to the smaller but actually this now seems a good thing as I did use to find the larger jars began to dry up. What I still find an issue is paint clogging the screw tops and also I being less easy to pour from the jars into the airbrush pot. On that point the Xtracolour paints really score highly.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

updated my matches see 3rd post
Regards
Peter

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star