Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Fine Painting...How's it done?

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Fine Painting...How's it done?

Post by MerlinJones »

My painting can occasionally be sloppy...
Okay, it can be sloppy a lot of the time.
Especially when viewed under high magnification...
Or on a foggy day...in the dark...if you punch your nose really hard...whilst chopping onions...

So, for those of you who do better, how do you do it?
Is it simply aeons of practice, living a tee-total, de-caffeinated lifestyle and using a brush made of the finest mosquito nasal hair?

If anyone out there can enlighten, perhaps with some photos, I'd be jolly pleased, even if no-one else will be.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Fine Painting...How's it done?

Post by Wege »

I used layers of paint.

Using a umm.. Number 3 brush? I will mix 50/50 blob of paint and drop of humbrol thinner into a light paint.

I will then paint that on and wait for it to dry.

Then repeat with same paint (new mix).. roughly.
You may notice how rough this early painting is on the WHIF harrier: Image

particularly with large areas of colour..

and also Image

For 'overspray' I have used an old Tamiya #1 wide? (it comes as part of their basic 3brush pack) and sparingly dipped it into enamel paint.... wiped off most.. and then gently dabbed some on.
maybe a bit of a twist to it as well... or if needs be a hint of turps/thinners to the brush to smear out the paint I have just used... about as close to an airbrush as I can get at this time I guess.

For a yellow, I have generally used either a grey or 'metal' undercoat.
The yellow was also thinned as well and applied in multiple layers.

Sometimes the thinning doesn't quite work out though: Image
Notice the slight variation in touch up?

I also tried using a realllllly thinned out sand (or was it Humbrol radar tan?) to give it a tone or final 'tint' to indicate fading and use. I still don't think i got it quite right.

Masking is something that I still have trouble with at this size/level - too easy to leave a 'line' behind for me-

and

Particularly when slowly building layers of light coloured paint.
AGH!

Does some of that help?

mike_m
Flight #288
Flight #288
Wales

Post by mike_m »

Invest in an airbrush and get used to using it, preferably with one brand of paint (the way I don't!). An airbrush lays down a far finer coat of paint than a brush ever can, some people are expert at brush painting but for most of us who can't do that, an airbrush is an easier way to go about getting a good finish.
Mike

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

All good stuff.
More please.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

machinehead
JV 144
JV 144
United States of America

Post by machinehead »

Is it simply aeons of practice, living a tee-total, de-caffeinated lifestyle and using a brush made of the finest mosquito nasal hair?
Exactly. :lol: And an optivisor and 3 years of art school help a bit.

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

While I would love to practise with an airbrush, but space requirements prohibit me from storing the gear in between use . I also dont have an appropriate sapce for it either.

This forces me to try to get as close as I can with a stick brush to airbrush.

Yes, that would massively reduce masking lines.

Ah well. I will still try

Edit. Caffeinr free tor fine detail is anout rihht..... butn dont have or use an optivisor.
I spose my crappy lighting conditions dont help much either.
Eek

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Whilst an airbrush is my weapon of choice, there are many little bits and pieces where using such a device would either be overkill or nigh on impossible to control. The simulated Maltese stonework pattern on my Arrowhead Matilda is a good example of the latter (see http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpBB3/vi ... f=4&t=1923). To achieve the fine lines, I ended up cutting the vast majority of the hairs out of an already fine brush, leaving probably half a dozen strands which I then shortened to get a modicum of control during application. This modified brush also served well in fine detailing on other tanks and aircraft.

Several members of the forum using hairy sticks have achieved superbly smooth, brushmark-free finishes over large areas, so much so that it is nigh on impossible to distinguish the mode of application from airbrushing. In many cases, they have commented that they thin the paint down markedly and apply numerous coats. I have also noted that some attest to the benefits of using retarders to slow the drying process. And Wege, these tactics can greatly reduce the "ridge" that forms when brush-painting along masked areas.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

an enamel retarder?

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I was probably thinking more acrylic here (I've used the Tamiya retarder and it works quite well). However, there are (or were) enamel retarders. I recall the one from Floquil was quite good but, as the following advert advises, it is now no longer available: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof110002.htm. :(
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

steveski
Flight #3
Flight #3

Post by steveski »

Airbrush is a must, even a cheap HD-130 (12USD) is more than okay, always dilute the paint as thin as possible, say 40% paint and 60% thinner liquid. I also use masking sol for camouflage and cheap but excellent 3M 2214 series of paper masking tape (Tamiya who?). For paints I use only Mr. Hobby acrylic line of products all the time and no complaint at all.
For the panel line I'd use Gundam marker (grey colour and water base) to do the job, making it simple and easy.
Just my another two-bob of value.
Visit my Blog for everything in 1:144... http://tinyurl.com/27wpl78

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”