Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Paint Reviews

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Paint Reviews

Post by smeg1959 »

The new Tamiya lacquer range has appeared in my local hobby haunt. Anyone used these? If so, how does it stack up against their acrylics (some recent bottles of which aren't performing nearly as well as batches I've used over the past couple of decades)?
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Paint Reviews

Post by smeg1959 »

I will be writing a review of the Hataka Red range of lacquers in coming weeks once I've baptised them on my F-100D for the Cold War GB. As I am still having the odd adhesion issue with Tamiya (rather strangely confined to colours with high XF codes, most particularly XF81 RAF Dark Green 2), I'm on the lookout for locally available alternatives. Turns out that, whilst discontinued, BNA still holds considerable stocks of Lifecolor so I'm drawing up a shopping list for colours I will probably need in the future. And my few trials with Gunze have been pretty positive, albeit I've only used examples from the Mr Hobby Aqueous range to date. As pointed out early in this thread by Triggerhappy, they do take longer to cure than, say, Lifecolor or Tamiya so a dust-free drying area is a must.

Incidentally, I think I passed on a telling comment elsewhere from one of the senior staff at Metro Hobbies regarding Humbrol, but I should recount it here. He said that since Humbrol ceased production in the UK and moved operations to France, the quality had dropped right off. Numerous customers had told him thus, a couple even wanting their money back. So much so that Metro pulled the plug on Humbrol's acrylics at the start of 2018 and are currently considering doing likewise for the company's enamels. Very sad if that's the case, as many of us elder statesmen (read Grumpy Old Men) did all our painting from Humbrol tinlets in Ye Good Ol' Days. Still remember the joy at discovering the Authentics' range and the horror at seeing that range fade into oblivion. :cry:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”