Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Compatability - Decals and Setting solutions

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Compatability - Decals and Setting solutions

Post by TonyG2 »

Just wondering if anyone has had any compatability problems using the decals that come with pre-finished models such as F-Toys, J-Wings etc with setting solutions such as Microsol and Microset?

I use the solutions all the time on regular kits, nornmally having first applied a spray on gloss coat to avoid silvering effects. To date I have just applied decals from, say, an F-Toys kit after a brief dip in water and haven't used a setting solution. I find the pre-finished paint schemes are sufficiently smooth not to require a gloss coat first or, indeed to require a final top coat of varnish (matt, satin or gloss).

However, looking at some of the models from J-Wings in particular, a setting solution might improve the application of the decals although if there is a risk in doing so then I would steer clear.

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Compatability - Decals and Setting solutions

Post by Jonathan »

I've used Microsol on many many different decals. Some decals resist, and require repeated soakings in the stuff to soften up and comform. Ive never had a decal ruined by Microsol.

True, a good glossy surface with no contours or panel lines may not require preparation, or decal setting solution. One step eliminated!

The need for a top coat of clear varnish over decals however, is not immediately apparent - but let them sit on the model unprotected for a few years and you will eventually see them crack, curl up and flake off. :(

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I originally used Microsol but, when I ran out in 2009, I swapped over to the combination of Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer from Gunze, primarily because of local availability. With one of two self-inflicted exceptions (read attempting to squeeze a decal down after applying the softener and distending the thing :oops:), I've never had any problems. Works fine with all the usual decals (Cartograf, Mark I, F-Toys, etc.), whether old or new. Also works fine with ALPS-printed (Matt Snedden, YKraft, Aussie Decals/Novascale, etc.) and homemade decals.

I usually allow a few hours drying time before the final clear sealing coat, usually Tamiya TS79 semi-gloss or TS80 matt.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Thanks guys

rmasu
Flight Ace
Flight Ace

Post by rmasu »

I used Mr Marks Softer in this DXM decal , printed by cartograph

I was user of Solvaset..but it was too strong(melted and shrink to much the decal) and also changed the color of decal...(maybe was a old bottle)
Attachments
10.jpg.jpg
06.jpg.jpg

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

holy cow the paint job looks sugoi!!!

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Wege, I think all of the digital camo is made up of decal pieces. If you look in the bottom right of the product you can see a small picture of the individual decals that make up the set.
Regards
Peter

rmasu
Flight Ace
Flight Ace

Post by rmasu »

Yes, the digital camo is decal...but need paint the regular F-15 camo schme before apply the decal..
And need much patience to apply the 2 or 3 layers of decals..no try put all in one step..
With the Mr softer you can work and change position.. if you use solvaset.. the decal star melt. and you can´t move once applied , the dark blue decal color even change to green hue

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Hi Roberto, we hadn't heard from you for a while. Good to see you still producing those absolute gems! :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

rmasu
Flight Ace
Flight Ace

Post by rmasu »

Well , my eyes are not same ...can´t focus near ...is the ageing..
So modeling is not same ..

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”