Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

FEresin Boeing Vertol - how do I cut out the vacform canopy?

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

FEresin Boeing Vertol - how do I cut out the vacform canopy?

Post by bootneck42 »

As the heading says. I have ruined one of the vacform/plunge-mold canopies that come with the kit. The part is wafer thin and it cracked and mis-shaped whilst I was trying to cut it from the surrounding sheet.

Has anyone built this kit? What is the best way to make cut out the canopy so that it fits the model?

cheers

Mike the frustrated.
All for one and 144 all

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: FEresin Boeing Vertol - how do I cut out the vacform can

Post by TonyG2 »

Does the model come with a resin "plug" that fits the vacform transparency? If it does then putting that inside the transparency when working on it provides extra support for the more delicate structure.

Also check to see if that plug will fit the fuselage neatly as that will also tell you if you can rely on the plug to guide how far to trim back the transparent part (and if all else fails, glue the plug in place and paint the windows.... not ideal I know).

bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

No such luck. This is all you get in the kit; the two canopies are moulded together, so an even more awkward job before starting.

Mike
All for one and 144 all

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As Tony said, the inclusion of the resin "plug" really helps here. Not only does it aid greatly when cutting and sanding, it is also back-up if things go pear-shaped and you need to smash-mould a replacement. Surprisingly, very few resin kit manufacturers provide this option. In the absence of the plug, I've heard suggestions like using Silly Putty to temporarily fill the void. The downside here is that such a soft material won't help when sanding the part. Can someone suggest a better temporary filler, preferably one that would harden but not stick to the clear part? I suspect that something like a mould-release agent would achieve the non-adhesion part of the process.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Plaster of Paris would be a solid non stick base for making a plug.

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Post by TonyG2 »

Its a bit involved but you can try this.

First some form of mold release inside the transparency as suggested (make sure it washed off though).
Then press in some clingfilm (think its called Saran Wrap in the US).
Then add in the plaster of paris or other molding material.

The clingfilm adds extra protection to the transparency and also makes it easier to remove the plug once it has set.

However the plug is only used as a strengthener for the transparency as the clingfilm will likely wrinkle and make the plug unusable for making a new transparency.

bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

Thanks everyone. I shall give the plaster of paris and clingfilm ideas a try.
In the meantime, I have strengthened the vacform transparency by applying a layer of clear resin around the inside with a Blufixx UV pen (same as Bondic). First, I did a test on the broken canopy; it has firmed up just like a resin canopy and I was able to trim the edges. Being clear, it has not affected the transparency elements of the glazing; however, I did add more to the parts which were not glazing. I'll now have a go with the remaining good canopy and see if I can get a good fit for the fuselage.

cheers

Mike
All for one and 144 all

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”