Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

How can I glue a crack in Milliput, before it snaps in two?

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

How can I glue a crack in Milliput, before it snaps in two?

Post by bootneck42 »

I've had a go at making a fuselage, using plastic sheet and milliput; however the hardened compound has a hairline crack, across the aea where the blade points to below, and I am concerned that it might cause it to snap in two. Can cracks or breaks in Milliput be glued? If so, which adhesive or compound would be best to recover this little setback?

cheers

Mike
All for one and 144 all

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: How can I glue a crack in Milliput, before it snaps in t

Post by TonyG2 »

Depends on how bad the crack is. For minor surface dings and imperfections, I use milliput. I would make thinner slurry of milliput and work that into the crack and let it harden.

If it is a deeper crack, I would consider running some thin superglue into the crack and maybe hit it with Zip Kicker. Consider building up layers using that process and then let it set hard before sanding smooth. I wouldn't try to force anything into the crack or to try and compress the joint however or it will likely snap.

bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

Re: How can I glue a crack in Milliput, before it snaps in t

Post by bootneck42 »

Hi Tony,

the crack is hairline and goes from the top to halfway down the fuselage. It is difficult to see as it stands but shows whilst I am sanding the model. I'll have a look for some extra thin CA glue next time I get to a model shop and try that.

cheers

Mike
All for one and 144 all

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”