Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

ASB Radar

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

ASB Radar

Post by ajmm »

Whilst building my Helldiver, I've been pondering how to make an ASB radar for it - these are the 'yagi' TV aerial type radars (below left) seen on Helldivers up to SB2C4, as well as on US and British marks of the Grumman Avenger, Dauntless and other breeds.
Radar.tiff
Radar.tiff (46.52 KiB) Viewed 4833 times

I contemplated scratch-building these but decided my eyesight is better expended on other tasks - it will never look quite as I want it using stretched sprue or plasticard. There are currently no ASB etch sets on the market, but I suddenly had a moment of inspiration and ordered some 1:700 USN etched railings (from our own Mike M's Starling Models, very reasonable and prompt I should add).

They are the right size for a smaller aircraft like this and the Avenger - although no good for larger brutes like the PBY or Sunderland, which had larger aerials (but Owl have a set specifically for these).

All I need to do for the Helldiver is cut up some of this railing and put it on a stake below each wing. If this works I will have a lifetime supply of ASB aerials…! Even if I make a hash of it - someone else may find this useful.

On another note, I wish someone (Starling or Shelf Oddity, anyone) would release a sheet of generic arrowhead etc. Air Intercept Radar aerials - as per Beaufighter, Mossie, P-70 and so forth. The Marabu set has these, but it's a shameful waste of all the internal and other detail that set provides, just to use it for the aerials!
Last edited by ajmm on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: ASB Radar

Post by pbhawkin »

Yes, I also often 'repurpose' PE meant for 1/700 ships :D
The Owl Catalina set should provide you with two sets that would be small enough to be suitable I thought?
But your 'find' should indeed give you plenty!
Regards
Peter

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by F_IV »

You can also solder brass and nickel silver rod and tube if you use a decent liquid flux and a soldering iron. The trick is to hold the bits in place either over a frame or even by superglueing to some scrap laminex or hardwood.

This was 0.1mm and 0.2mm nickel rod from Albion Alloys. The joins are amazingly strong, and once joined you can free the wire from its frame and cut and bend to whatever you want.

Here's an example of what can be done: a 1/144 scale Lichtenstein radar... One of four. I definitely recommend giving it a go. The solder I mean, not the Lichtenstein. That was effing nuts. :oops:

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

I will leave this here:
PE Fug200 202 212.png
Regards
Peter

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

heeeeeyyy that stuff could also maybe do the trick for some ASI spikes under wings (looking at Spittys etc)

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”