Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Breaking decals

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
tonyr
Flight #4
Flight #4
1/144 Interest: No

Breaking decals

Post by tonyr »

Hello folks,
I have just found an old set of microscale decals for the F-105 Thud. Unfortunately they break up as they are very old. Does anyone have any tips for keeping them together for long enough to use them. I tried johnsons, and it may have been a fluke but it stayed intact for longer than just putting nothing on. Any better advice would be welcome.
Tony

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Breaking decals

Post by Jonathan »

Microscale makes a film you can apply with a brush.
I do this to all older suspect decals. you do have to then cut around all the decals.

I also use it to fix my own laserjet printed decals.

tonyr
Flight #4
Flight #4

Post by tonyr »

Thanks,
Ive never seen that stuff before. Im starting to ceel optimistic about the decals now.
Tony

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Another option is Testors' Decal Bonder spray. I used the Microscale product for ages but found that I smeared homemade decals when applying it because I had to use a brush. I attempted to use an airbrush but it is quite viscous and I was unsure what solvent I should use to thin it with. Then along came Decal Bonder and all my problems were solved. Of course, smearing won't be an issue with your Hud's decals, but the Testors' product is worthy of consideration.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

tonyr
Flight #4
Flight #4

Post by tonyr »

Thanks for the advice guys. I put a touch of Vallejo gloss varnish on a big decal last night and tested it this morning and it worked fine too. Its just a relief being able to use them plus all of the stenciling for the 105.

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”