Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Model storage

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No

Model storage

Post by Mark_W »

Hi

I'm looking at storing most of my collection of completed models.

Any tips on types of containers or other tips that might be good for this?

I'm also open to selling or giving some away. Any tips on posting models?

Thanks!

Mark

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Model storage

Post by smeg1959 »

Very timely, Mark. I'm in a similar situation. Much of my collection is currently displayed in three Ikea Bertby units but this situation may have to change in 2018 with the fact that I will be moving to rental accommodation. Not sure a landlord would take too kindly to me drilling holes in his walls. Maybe I can rig up some free-standing frame? Transportation of the collection will also be on the agenda, so let's see what ideas other members have.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Chaps

Probably depends on the material of construction.
As gashapons tend to be more durable (with plastic fast food containers and tissue paper being enough.

For plastics and resin polyester supports and cocktail/bbq skewers (wooden) tends to work well.

Cutting ribs/sections of poly to support the kits from above and below. Interspersing with cocktail supports.

If you look at dameyas blog when they are packing kits for the shows you can see the effect well. It's often an idea to line the box with a plastic bag or wrap the whole packaging in a plastic bag as a safeguard to catch anything that does manage to work loose.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

I keep my models under construction in a white plastic container with a see trough lid you get when you order Chinese food. My little brother works in a Chinese restaurant so these containers are very easy to get for me. ( I've tried a used one before but the oily reddish residu is very hard to scrub off) (this can't be good for your stomach now that I think off it) Still I recommend a take away meal every other day in order to get 50 plastic containers. I like duck, Sechuan chicken, spring rolls and ajam pangan. But most of all I like tjiew jieuw kai (this is what the menu says) a crispy chicken with garlic and red pepper. You also get these containers with Surinam and Indonesian food. Indonesian is my favorite by far. Luckily most of my friends have Indonesian blood so whenever there is a birthday party there is good food.

O right models. This only goes for smaller models. I now know these are called kilo containers in the Netherlands: https://www.disposablediscounter.nl/bak ... e-chinees/

They are suitable for microwave use and made from injected plastic ha! Very sturdy also. Together with some toilet paper good for shipping completed models.

( a now hungry ) Lex

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Thanks guys - some great tips there!

@ph-adk made me laugh, but making me hungry too!

I think the plastic containers tissue paper will get me most of the way there...would be keen to check out the polyester/cocktail stick method but got lost on Dameya's blog - @BlueDonkey99 do you have any direct links?

Thanks again!

Mark

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

So, my wife came home today with 4 containers full of Indonesian goodies :D what a coincidence.

You were also asking about posting models. You could make a list of give aways and sells and post them in the want, swaps and trades? I am curious now.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

ph-adk wrote:I am curious now.
We all are ... ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

ID19
Flight #144
Flight #144
Germany

Post by ID19 »

As I'm currently preparing for moving house (and town and country - I'll stay on the planet, though :mrgreen: ) once again, I encounter the same old problem: How to safely transport my - growing - fleet of built models? I used card/shoe boxes, styrofoam and tooth picks before, but used to put the models on their respective landing gear. While I still have to store some of them this way, the bigger part can be stored vertically, thanks to small size and weight! They can be fixed on one side or on the nose/tail, depending on shape and delicate pieces (props, nose probes etc)
IMG_20200823_204419295 (2).jpg
IMG_20200823_204330028 (2).jpg
Saves a lot of space (up to 30 models in a shoe box), is cheap, and absolutely secure, as long as you don't turn the boxes upside down!
Don't know, whether this method is common knowledge in this forum - I found it in a German forum and for me it's new!
Cheers,
Fritz
PS: . . .and a small puzzle: where's the He-162? ;)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Brilliant idea. I’ve just moved house and wish I’d thought of that. I used about six rolls of loo roll (yes, I may perhaps have been partly responsible for the panic buying in the UK at the same time!).

Good luck with the move. Fingers crossed everything arrives in one piece!

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Whatever you do, do not use millions of tiny polystyrene balls.........ask me how I know.
David

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”