Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

decalling - need some help

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

decalling - need some help

Post by bootneck42 »

I've just been looking at those excellent models from E-day that have been displayed on the forum. The main thing that interests me, apart from the beautifully built models, is that I can see no trace of any decal surround; the clear edge normally found after decalling. I know about Sol and set etc., however those models look to have no backing at all, a bit reminiscent of rub-down Letraset. How do they, and you, achieve that? I'd love to be able to do that but my decals have a definite thickness to them.

cheers

Mike
All for one and 144 all

machinehead
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No
United States of America

Re: decalling - need some help

Post by machinehead »

I use a brush on Vallejo matt varnish.

spejic
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: No
United States of America

Post by spejic »

Usually it's down to the qualities of the decals themselves. There's not much you can do to make, say, Hasegawa decals go away.

One thing that helps is to press down on the decal a minute or so after placing it. I usually use a folded-up bit of plastic grocery bag to burnish it down.

And as machinehead said, dull coat hides many sins.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The oft-cited approach which I use on all my builds now is to spray the model with gloss (or, in my case, semi-gloss) clear. I find Tamiya rattle cans work pretty well, providing (i) you mist on the coats (no pooling) and (ii) you protect clear parts which will cloud if exposed to the lacquer. After a couple of days drying, I apply the decals to this surface. Another day or two later, I follow up with another fine spray or two of clear - matt for most WW2 items (Tamiya TS80 is a lot flatter than Humbrol's rattle can acrylic stuff), semi-gloss for aircraft which had a sheen to them (Tamiya TS79). Personally, I shy away from full-gloss as it makes the models look toy-like IMHO. Still have the odd decal that doesn't blend in, like spejic said, but have been fairly happy overall.

Of course, you can do the "mask and paint" approach and skip some decals altogether, like F_IV did with the roundels on his sublime Fairey Battle. Way too good for my limited skill set! :oops:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”