Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Advice needed - cleaning and prepping 3D printed material

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

Advice needed - cleaning and prepping 3D printed material

Post by ajmm »

I know there are numerous articles on this on the web but everyone has a slightly different idea. I wondered if anyone here has a view.

I have a TripleNuts Javelin. I’d like to build it for the GB. Two issues - 1) it has that waxy surface coating and 2) jet has that terraced styration common to 3D printed kits.

1) what is the best way to remove the waxy coating so I can prime, paint and mask happily. White spirit has worked in the past but I’m a bit nervous of cocking things up as the kit was mumble mumble expensive. IPA? Soap?

2) what is the best way to improve the stepping? Is it to polish with a fine grade of sand paper? The upper wing of the Javelin has very fine vortex generators and I’d be sad to lose these. Does a thick-ish gloss coat work better?

Any advice - better still advice on the materials TN kits use - would be heroic. Thank you!

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Advice needed - cleaning and prepping 3D printed materia

Post by F_IV »

I'd like to know this too. I wouldn't want to invest a lot of time in a 3D printed model and have it deteriorate after a few years.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Is there any sprue you can test on? I'm sure you've found this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xFUNFG-UKE But that could end up in a terrible mess. It's easy suggesting this when you didn't pay a lot of hard-earned money I know.. You can always start with a minute, then 3 minutes and so on..

In any way, i wouldn't use a high gloss for filling. Gloss is only used for finishing when the surface is ready, smoothened and has an even color. I would search for a filling primer from a rattle can. Or use a waterbased primer with an airbrush. Especially water-based products are good for filling and are easy to sand.

If you have bought the model already you can always wait a week or three for the Mark 1 version :lol:

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Haha - yes you can all thank me afterwards when the Javelin is announced as I apply the decals to mine!

I actually used some super duper technology to translate the instructions from Japanese. Simply took a photo in the Google Translate app...

And presto...

Amazing. So TN recommend washing in warm water with detergent and gently sanding the parts with 400grit paper (seems quite rough to me). I’ll give that a go but if anyone has any suggestions then please say. I’m dubious that hot water and soap alone will clean the surface sufficiently.
Attachments
F875A86B-A1C0-4ED2-A25D-A05C9331628D.jpeg
759757B9-C4CB-4FFD-AB3D-A92378CA59A5.jpeg

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Definitely wash in soap and warm water (hot water is used to bend warped parts back to correct shape). You need to remove the wax from the parts (can also uses a toothbrush at the same time will help).
I gave up on Shapeways WSF material as is too hard to get smooth for aircraft (Is ok for AFVs). The much more expensive materials are the way to go and do not have the pebbly grain WSF has, BUT will still have the striations (layers).
Unfortunately, in order to remove the 3D printing artifacts you have to compromise and you will have to lose detail in the process! So gentle 400 grain to start, then some filler/primer and then 600/800 sandpaper and then more filler/primer then 1000 etc until you are happy.
Depending on the orientation of the 3D print can effect how noticeable the layer/striations are. So a second print may be better!
SEE this thread from 2016 for more info on a product called XTC3d:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4582&p=25987&hilit=coating#p25987
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Some really good info here. I had seen the vid that Lex referred to and acetone vapour will work but there's a very fine line between smoothing and destroying your prized 3D print with this technique. I tried it on some scrap at work and found it difficult to get the right level of exposure to the vapour. Too little, nothing happens. Too much, hello blob of amorphous polymer.

The product Peter refers to appears to be a self-levelling emulsion. The main query I have with this is can you paint over it? The company vids recommend adding the colour to the product itself, which has to be brushed on and dries with a very high gloss. Unless you could subsequently spray with a matt clear coat, very unrealistic for 1/144 models. And the question would remain, would the clear coat adhere to the treated surface? I fear it would bead.

Unless someone can demonstrate either of the above alternatives can work with a 3D print of a scale model, I fear it comes back to sanding and more sanding. 400 grit does sound excessive, so I would err on the side of a finer grit and prepare yourself for a long session with the paper. Once you've got it fairly smooth, one of the surfacer primers will account for any irregularities. And I can attest that it will firmly adhere to your print if you did the warm soapy water wash to remove the wax at the start of the clean-up.

Whatever you do, you can say adios to much of the surface detail. Scribing time, I'm afraid. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

How well do traditional modeling primers stick to 3D printed materials? I’m not adverse to a few sessions of sanding and priming. Goodness knows I have to do it often enough with injection moulded kits to reduce the panel lines. It’s having the stuff lift off the surface that worries me. :?

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I use wash up liquid and warm water and an electric toothbrush - we upgraded from another electric toothbrush so I do use the OLD one. Were there are heavy 'wax' I use a wooden cocktail stick. A bath in the ultrasonic cleaner is my final stage.
Before painting I coat the model with 'Kleer' in my opinion it seals the surface ready for products like Mr Surfacer. Then the usually primer, coolur coats and sealing. I don't usually sand as I found most fillers do not 'stick' well and the 'grain' often goes into hard to reach areas.
From the viewing distance its hard to see the 'grain' and nobody lives anywhere near Devon to see anyway.

David
Attachments
IMG_7461.JPG
IMG_7461.JPG (54.64 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

BigReg wrote: From the viewing distance its hard to see the 'grain' and nobody lives anywhere near Devon to see anyway.
I went to Killhampton once, if only i had realised you are down the road! ;)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Martin,
Our kids have their astronomy business in Kilk!

David

Return to “1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!”