Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Incom UT-60D U-Wing

Doesn't matter if it is factual or fictional, if it's out of this world, it goes here!
MC84
Flight #288
Flight #288
Germany

Incom UT-60D U-Wing

Post by MC84 »

Finally, Star Wars :D

01.jpg

Original:
The Incom UT-60D U-Wing is a swing-wing gunboat. In addition to 2 pilots, there is space for 8 people in the passenger area. In addition to the 2 front-mounted medium laser cannons, additional smaller weapons can be mounted on the doors for troop support. The wings that point forward during takeoff swing backwards during cruise flight.
In the film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the U-Wing was the spaceship of the rebel force led by Cassian Andor who stole plans for the first Death Star.

02.jpg

Kit:
The U-Wing is one to 4 models of this Bandai kit in 1/144 scale. There is also a TIE Striker and two TX-225-GAVw tanks. Although designed as an Easykit, this kit comes with the correct decals, similar to the well-known stickers. There are also 2 different Canopy variants: a transparent part and a part with struts without clear parts (as used for filming). In contrast to the smaller spaceships, a landing gear is also included, a stand is included for displaying it in flight, and the wings can be made movable. The U-Wing with 2 pilot figures: Cassian Andor and the reprogrammed Imperial security droid K-2SO.
Even if the newer Star Wars spaceships are not as detailed as classic spaceships of the genre (e.g. the Millennium Falcon), Bandai delivers again. The kit has a great fit and the clear parts also live up to their name.

03.jpg

Building:
In preparation for the Millennium Falcon (which is still waiting for me here), I first wanted to build something small from the genre. As already mentioned, the kit sets up quickly on its own. What I paid more attention to was painting. I neglected the decals for blue markings and painted them. I didn't improve anything that wasn't necessary. The usual things like pitots and static dischargers have already been omitted here.
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg
Marco

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Incom UT-60D U-Wing

Post by smeg1959 »

The Force is definitely with you. After all those airliners and now this beauty, I'd say you have a definite fixation with white, Marco! Mind you, if we all could end up with a finish as good as this, I reckon we'd all be building white. :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

MC84
Flight #288
Flight #288
Germany

Post by MC84 »

Not white, Boeing Grey ;) Or for militarists: Canadian Voodoo Grey :lol:

Marco

TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

The U Wing and the Striker are among the better examples of the Bandai mini models from Star Wars. The X Wings, TIE and Y Wings are decent enough but have solid canopies and decals for the windows which is a shame.

You often see the Razor Crest model from the Mandoralian listed as 1/144 but most sources that I have found appear to confirm that it is 1/220 (Scalemates gives this as the scale and I am pretty much satisfied they have it right although there are some SF models where I am not convinced by the scales they state).

Haven't built the Bandai U Wing yet but having seen this build up I am tempted.

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Impressive work. I hadn't realised what good detail this kit has. Your painting has really brought it out nicely.

MC84
Flight #288
Flight #288
Germany

Post by MC84 »

TonyG2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 15:50
The U Wing and the Striker are among the better examples of the Bandai mini models from Star Wars. The X Wings, TIE and Y Wings are decent enough but have solid canopies and decals for the windows which is a shame.
Correct but with this old ships (Ep. IV-VI) are such a brilliant detailed, I can live with that closed canopy. Also the AT-AT or the Falcon. are amazing
ywing.JPG
TonyG2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 15:50
You often see the Razor Crest model from the Mandoralian listed as 1/144 but most sources that I have found appear to confirm that it is 1/220 (Scalemates gives this as the scale and I am pretty much satisfied they have it right although there are some SF models where I am not convinced by the scales they state).
Sadly, :(

Marco

MattP
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
United States of America

Post by MattP »

I have been seriously considering picking up this kit. Thank you for making up my mind. :lol: Your build up looks GREAT!!!

su27rules
Flight #288
Flight #288
Croatia

Post by su27rules »

Very nice!!
You can never have enough Flankers!!
Su-35 902Black=one half the cost of an F-22; twice the good looks!!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

MC84 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:47
Not white, Boeing Grey ;) Or for militarists: Canadian Voodoo Grey :lol:
A really light colour, then! Actually, it seems to be similar to an SMS colour I've used, which the company refers to as Aggressor White Grey. Fortunately, the coverage of the SMS lacquers is so good, I'm finally having success with colours this close to white (and, of course, white itself). Could never claim that with acrylics.
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

A friend of mine is currently working on the larger Revell kit of the U Wing, the one with sound and light effects.

He asked me the other day to help him find some World War II or similar aircraft nose art to personalise the model as he had no luck finding something suitable. OK, fine. So I asked him what kind of thing he was looking for.

At this point his $hit eating grin told me I had walked right into it.

He was looking for something with the name Bobbi or Bobbie.

OK?

Of cause then it dawned on me . Bobbie U Wing....... :roll:

Return to “1/144 Space and Sci-Fi”