Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Californians, Beware!

any old chit-chat?
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Californians, Beware!

Post by smeg1959 »

I was looking for drying and recoat times on a rattle can of TS-80 Flat Clear and spotted this warning ...
This product contains chemicals which are known in the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm.
From that, I gather you should never spray your models with Tamiya rattle cans unless you live outside of California or, if you are unfortunately a resident of Los Angeles, Sacramento or San Francisco, you must don the PPE used by the CDC and employ an industrial-grade fume extraction system. :roll:
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
Other - Arado Ar196A-1 (F-Toys)

TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Re: Californians, Beware!

Post by TonyG2 »

Doesn't it mean that only California regards it as a risk? The rest of the world either disagrees or is "Meh". No offence to our Californian cousins but really? How long til the state of California determines that breathing is harmful to your health.

Either that or being Californian makes you more prone to any and all health risks? Come on guys you are more likely to buy it in an earthquake than huffing Tamiya product. After all you are probably huffing a lot more chemicals that are regarded as recreational and OK.

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Marshall Islands

Post by Jonathan »

The California CARB led the way in remediating air pollution starting in the late 60s. Their research and ground work forms the basis of clean air regulation throughout the world, including the US Clean Air Act. you younguns cant remember , but people used to die of smog. You could die from the toxics in car exhaust, having to sit in rush hour traffic. there were special products to clear up the pink eye. "those itching burning eyes" was actual copy in ads for Visine, with an over the shoulder shot of a slow moving freeway. That's been completely eliminated, everywhere in the US at least, and beyond, thanks to the voters of California. There is still smog in some places, but , thanks to California, In large parts of the world, in particular the US, it is actually safe to breathe the air.
Toxic ingredients in consumer products is another area where California taxpayers went ahead of the rest of the world and funded research into hazards to public health in commerce. California requires merchants to inform their consumers of the presence of benzene, for example, along with hundreds of other compounds, based on masses of laboratory research.
Why doesnt your jurisdiction require that? maybe it does, many places adopted California toxics standards.
He who can command himself
Is good to govern

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Whoops! Looks like I've inadvertently opened a rattle can of worms. :oops:

To explain, what I found amusing was the actual phrasing of the warning, not the intention, hence my silliness. Jonathan, you are, of course, spot on about the state's major input into research and legislation like the Clean Air Act, both the US version and internationally. Whilst never at the levels in many cities, I recall days here in Melbourne in the 70's and 80's where we would have a thick smog layer over the CBD. Our EPA bought in major changes in line with those in the US and parts of Europe, and the sky's been a lot clearer since. And limits on sulfur dioxide emissions have minimised the risk of acid rain, that was a scourge in some European cities in the last century.

As a chemist, the topic of chemical toxicity is never far from my work. Currently, there is a massive push within our university to replace any experiments our students perform wherein a reagent or sample has been deemed carcinogenic. This includes a practical that has been a staple for three or four decades and is still regularly performed elsewhere globally (the Royal Society of Chemistry no less uploaded a video of the same experiment to YouTube last November). Personally, I believe the ruling is overkill as the cancers most of these reagents cause are by ingestion, and we certainly do not recommend our students eat their experiments! :roll:

There are also some very different views on the safety or otherwise of certain chemicals used commercially, particularly in the food industry. A red dye, amaranth (what the US referred to as FD&C Red No. 2), used to be found in many processed foods in the States. Then, following research in both Russia and the US, the FDA banned its use in 1976 citing it as a potential carcinogen. However, elsewhere in the world, exhaustive testing has not found issue with the dye and it is still commonly found in many foods in Europe (as additive E123) and Oceania (as additive 123).
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Not to mention sanding resin without wearing a mask.

David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Or performing a similar task on that early OzMods "plastic". No mask and you'd be inviting the Grim Reaper to join in your build. :evil:
OTB ...

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Marshall Islands

Post by Jonathan »

building pastic models with my personal favorite plastic welding fluid, methylene chloride, has cost me many a brain cell, through ill use of engineering controls. California is fairly emphatic, that shit deadly: you smell it, you are injured. :? :? :?
He who can command himself
Is good to govern

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Yes, I would tend to give methylene chloride (or, as it is known systematically, dichloromethane) a wide berth. This compound is commonly used as an engine degreaser. It is also closely related to chloroform (trichloromethane) which ensures a good snooze during modelling sessions ... :P
OTB ...

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

smeg1959 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:19
Yes, I would tend to give methylene chloride (or, as it is known systematically, dichloromethane) a wide berth.
In my youth I used to work as a modelmaker for architects and we would get “dichlo” delivered in 12 litre glass jars. One fellow dropped a jar in the paint room and smashed it. The fumes melted his sinuses and cured him of hayfever for the rest of his life 😵

Return to “Pull up a seat”