Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

The imbalances of the Global Postal System

any old chit-chat?
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

The imbalances of the Global Postal System

Post by bluedonkey99 »

So, this is interesting as it highlight the arrangements for international postage for letter vs package sizes and how different countries in different categories are charged differently.

It also explains why shipping from China is cheaper than those from other countries. It even shines a light on some domestic mechanisms in the postal system.

I think we've all experienced the pro's and cons of the cheep shipments from China and the relatively expensive costs of shopping to/from the US

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49816654

The wiki page is more informative than the UPU pages (for the casual reader).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: The imbalances of the Global Postal System

Post by pbhawkin »

I received a small package from David (BigReg) in the UK and he paid 10.25 pounds to send it to Australia. I sent the same package and contents back to him and it cost me A$21.00. At todays exchange rate of 1 pound = A$1.83 (A$1 = 0.55 pence) I paid 11.55 pounds so very similar.
Regards
Peter

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Does it cost more cos it's going uphill?? :D :roll: :oops:
David

MattP
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
United States of America

Post by MattP »

I can do you one better... My Wife and I frequent a local Brazilian restaurant. They own 3 other local high-end restaurants. After 10 visits they sent you a $50.00 gift card. 2 days after we finished our 10th visit they sent an e-mail stating they sent out the gift card with a tracking #. On the same day I received the e-mail, I made a purchase from a seller in the Ukraine... I received the parcel from the Ukraine in 7 days. However the gift card that had to travel 11miles took 3 weeks... (And yes when I didn't receive the gift card in a week, I called and made sure the tracking # was correct...)

Go figure...

MattP

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As Peter would attest, Australia Post has been pared back to the bare bones in recent years. In spite of our rates forever increasing, we are now lucky if we get a mail delivery twice a week. What is really telling is the info you get from tracking systems. I had one parcel take barely 48 hours to come from Europe to Oz, then it took a further 3 weeks to wend its way from Sydney down to metro Melbourne. Heaven knows how long it would take if I lived somewhere in the Outback. Note to self ... choose the location you eventually retire to VERY carefully. :?
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Pull up a seat”