Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

The elephant in the room....

any old chit-chat?
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

The elephant in the room....

Post by TonyG2 »

Given all that is happening world wide, I hope everyone is OK. As I'm in an at risk group it looks like I may get ordered to self isolate. As I never got round to set up an internet connection at home (always used my old apartment or the office) I have been using the local library so may be off line for a while. Well it will give me a chance for some intensive modelling....

Stay well everyone.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: The elephant in the room....

Post by smeg1959 »

Cheers, Tony. Whilst we’ve all been making the occasional jest (usually relating to toilet paper or lack thereof), we are all sadly aware of just how bad this thing is. Like you, I don’t have a home internet connection and have relied upon work’s one since SWMBO and I went our separate ways. The internet situation may have to change for me as we are now delivering all of the theory content in our courses to students remotely. Indeed, I came out of my classes on Monday to be told that we wouldn’t be seeing any of the little dears until further notice. Needless to say, lots of fun modifying material and assessments to purely online mode. As it has been said, we do what we must. On the positive side, our IT department is going to loan me some up to date PC for home use ... my previous option was a 15-year old laptop running Windows XP! :shock:

Yes, there will be more opportunities for the odd model squeezing in between online lessons, so I’m sure David will be monitoring my dedication to get things off the Shelf of Shame. Best of all, I will be checking in here every day as this is one avenue to feeling a sense of normality. And I too wish everyone good health. Stay safe, people!
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

I am glad see some sensible comments on this awful situation. With both model clubs suspended, forums such as this provide a bit of light relief from all the doom and gloom. I will be keeping a check on you all. Tony, stay safe.
David

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Well its a grey misty and foggy day on the south east coast of England. As i sit here on the first day our the organisations 'work from home' strategy, writing up a scoping document for a project that it is now not clear as to when it will be delivered - the morning (10:12) is dragging already.

further to this, there is a strange still air about locality that now has an oddly out of place christmas feel, as the now absent typical ambient unperceivable backgrounds noise has gone - What i can tell you is that the bloomin birds outside sound really really loud :D :D :D (first world problems).

oh. and the in-laws are moving house this weekend - as long as they pick up the keys on Friday all will be well !

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Tony - stay safe.

We have taken refuge in a cottage in North Wales having developed a cough and being sent home from work earlier this week. I am 95% sure it is not Covid (my wife has had a cough for a few weeks) and as I'm in my 30s I am fortunate enough not to be in an 'at risk' category.

Unfortunately I am separated from all my modelling equipment so alas no updates from me. I'll check in here every once in a while pretty much the whole time. Although I'll largely be trying to work out how to get my parents back from Chile where they have been on holiday and are now stranded with almost all flights cancelled...

All the best to you all.

Angus

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

Situation here is not as bad as in northern Italy... yet. Half week I work from home, the other half I go to work (it's a 25 minutes walk). Everything non essential is closed, including city parks -and they are considering further restrictions (even no running for those who want to exercise)-. A friend of mine is a teacher and he is wondering what will be the fate of the current school year.

So, lots of time to do modelling: mail still works even if delays have been announced especially for international shippings (I have a few items incoming...).

Without people around, my city looks amazing: even pollution from cars has almost disappeared. One could take unique pics of, say, Trevi Fountain without the usual crowd all around (plus one or two people inside in summer, waiting to be fined) but we are strongly urged to stay at home and so only seagulls, pigeons and sparrows enjoy the view (plus our consistent fleet of African parrots: since 2010 they have become a common sight in all Roman parks, I wonder where they have come from).
Last edited by moresby on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44, edited 1 time in total.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Hi Guys,

I'm truly scared for this virus. I have a disease that took almost half of my lung capacity. (pretty much the same way covid does, except for pneumonia and bacteria) I'm pretty sure covid won't be a walk in the park for me. For now, my wife can work from home, and I work alone in a single location for 1 or two weeks (with mask and other precautionary measures) Our two little boys stay out of daycare so we divided our days off to take care off them. I'm too tired for modeling, as usual, maybe a lockdown will help. Still, I prefer an income though...

Good luck to all of you and your loved ones. Lex

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

To Lex, Tony and anyone else in the higher risk groups, the rest of us are praying that you stay well throughout this crisis. I can only speak for our situation in Australia but we are hoping the measures being taken will slow down the spread and allow us to defeat this virus. Whilst many here are adopting the right attitude and exercising strategies like social distancing, the stupidity of what went down on Bondi Beach last week was a stark reminder that some people are not taking this seriously. I’ve even heard one say, “If I get it, all that will happen is that I’ll spend a week in bed and be fine afterwards”. They clearly forget that they could infect someone in a higher risk category. And, as has been reported, there have been fatalities within the lowest risk group.

If everyone followed the protocols, this thing could be knocked over in a reasonable timeframe. Sadly, there will be those whose selfishness will make it much harder to contain.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Post by Mig88 »

I only spotted this thread last night. Here in Spain, apart from the slow reactions from the authorities, the irresponsibility of the people has been a major factor in things being as bad as they are now. Some weeks ago they held a soccer game with doors closed to reduce packing people together... and 6000 people gathered outside anyway! And people are still at it since many have already been caught violating the rules of the curfew and fined.

I work in pre-press which is very difficult to do from home but we are already looking into it and maybe start doing so during next week once we manage to get the necesary infrastructure set up. I ran a test linking to my Mac at work from my PC at home, which happens to be new, and it was successful despite some limitations which willl make work slow. Otherwise, I have been and will be taking the train to my job outside Barcelona every day. Fortunately, the trains have been rather empty. Measures have been taken at work to reduce contact and these have been further revised for this next week.

As already mentioned here before, the background noise of the city is gone and other sounds come to the fore more clearly. With the curfew imposed last weekend, this past week has been one long Sunday.

I wish everyone and their families all the best. Although yes there are those who have a greater risk, do keep in mind this virus has taken the lives of healthy young people too so keep safe.
As a final note, an anecdote. Since last weekend, here in Spain, every night at 8pm people go to their balconies or windows and clap a few minutes in support of the medical staff who are putting their lives at risk on the frontline of this crisis.

Best of luck and I'm hoping to keep hearing from all of you here at the forum
Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Good luck to everybody and I hope you all stay safe.
I’m wondering what this persistently sore throat is, which came upon me quite suddenly last night. A minor function at work last week was blithely visited by someone from New Zealand via Munich, another from New York and a woman who’s husband just returned from a trade show in Canada where the people in the booth next to his were diagnosed with covid-19. :oops:

Return to “Pull up a seat”