Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

The elephant in the room....

any old chit-chat?
bootneck42
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: The elephant in the room....

Post by bootneck42 »

My wife and I are maintaining full social distancing during this pandemic. I make sure there are two meters between us...... the gas one at the back of the house and the electricity one at the front. Image

Mike
All for one and 144 all

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

:D
Regards
Peter

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

There's a few more meters between yours truly and SWMBO ... about 11,600 to be precise. :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The elephant has stampeded back into the room here in metro Melbourne. We're back to Stage 3 restrictions after our daily numbers of cases skyrocketed. In the space of 10 days, Victoria's case numbers have nigh on doubled and now we are isolated from the rest of Australia. Whilst our State Government is recommending face masks for situations in public where you think you may not be able to socially distance yourself all the time, I think it will be only a matter of days before "optional" becomes anything but. I reckon we'll go down the same route as the UK with Boris's latest decree on masks whilst shopping or using public transport.

True, in global terms, our numbers are still small, both in terms of cases and mortality rate. It is the rapidity of the rise that's ringing alarm bells. We all want to be like our Tasmanian friends ... no new cases in 2 months. And if everyone does the right things, we will get there.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Our UK reaction has been woeful, half hearted and always too late. The public seemed not to realise the scale of number of deaths. I interpreted the number by comparison with air crashes. If three 747s a DAY went down then the government and public would act.

Sorry I feel strongly about this.

If the moderators think it's political please take this post down

Stay safe everyone

David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

This moderator couldn't agree more. The messages from many governments around the globe have been atrocious at times. And your analogy re: the 747s is spot on, David.

I reckon one of the best examples of how things should have been handled in terms of actions and timing of border closures comes from "across the ditch" in New Zealand. 1547 cases, 1498 now recovered, 22 fatalities and no sign of a second wave. Sadly, it seems the governments of some other countries are willing to accept thousands of new cases daily.

What has saddened me here in Australia is the level of parochialism that surfaced when Victoria (and principally a number of clusters in the north and western suburbs of Melbourne) had our second spike. During the first wave, there was a nationwide sense of "we are all in this together". Now we have the premiers of other states using rhetoric like "You are not welcome in our state", "Go home and take your diseases with you", etc. The level of political grandstanding has been nothing short of disgusting.
OTB ...

Return to “Pull up a seat”