Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

The Big Lift

any old chit-chat?
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Nambia

The Big Lift

Post by ajmm »

I stumbled on the film The Big Lift on Amazon Prime earlier. About the Berlin Airlift.

I’d not heard of the film before. Sure the story is corny as anything (well most of the cast are serving military so there’s a definite angle) but some fascinating scenes of postwar Berlin (it was filmed in Berlin in 1949) and amazing shots of C-54s on final approach to Templehof barely scraping the rooftops.

Worth a glance. And has got me thinking about a diorama... :idea:

Ps maybe a thread for old, under appreciated films might be a fun thing to have around here.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: The Big Lift

Post by smeg1959 »

Yep, this one was new to me, as well. And I'd expand on your suggestion to cover all films and models/dioramas members have built based upon them. Actually had the same idea after viewing Warbird Kid's great Haleʻiwa P-40B diorama based on a scene from Tora! Tora! Tora! and David's group build "He111" from the Battle of Britain. Then I saw your comments about The Cruel Sea, which screened here in Melbourne just over a week ago followed by one of my old faves, The Dam Busters. Which got me looking for the Amodel kit ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

A group build in the making???
David

Sudden thought, those Airfix Mosquitoes smashed into the 'mountain' in 633 squadron could be represented by models of models???

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I picked up the DVD of 633 Squadron about a year ago. Yes, not the most convincing "special effects" ever, but seeing the real things taxiing around is good enough for me. Beautiful aircraft.

Oh, and the words "future Group Build" did materialise in my mind, too ... ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Pull up a seat”