Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Minicraft

any old chit-chat?
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Minicraft

Post by bluedonkey99 »

So, I know the price of things go up and that Hannants are not always the cheapest - but, does £60 for a B-52 seem a bit steep? That said, does it become good value compared to Mark 1 Do-17 at £22??

also, still no sign of that B-50!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Belgium

Re: Minicraft

Post by nils »

Minicraft used to be an affordable brand, but in the past 15 years, theyre kit prices have skyrocketed.
now you pay double or even tripple the price of the original kit, and that for the old Crown/LS moulds.

i have an older minicraft KC-97 in the stash, its kind of a basic kit, but you can make something nice out of it.
as for the B-52, i would wait until the new Academy kit is out, much cheaper and its a new tool.
on the bench:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama
-MH-60J Jayhawk
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Re: Minicraft

Post by smeg1959 »

Wholeheartedly agree, nils. When I'm seeing mid-1970's castings complete with extraneous flash being wheeled out at a price you might be willing to pay for a state-of-the-art kit with PE and all the trimmings, then I have to ask what's going on. I suppose it must be working for the company because Minicraft just keep doing the same thing, year in, year out. More often than not when they announce a new version of an aircraft, we find the same sprues from a bye-gone era and two or three small "new" parts on a separate sprue.

I see the horribly out-of-proportion Spitfire Mk Vb (Crown original, 1973) retailing at $AUS23 at the same shop selling the Mark I Spitfire Mk XIV/XVIII "2-in-1" kits for $AUS29. And we all agree that Mark I isn't the least expensive make going around! :?
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Pull up a seat”