Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

1:144 subject matter

If you are not sure where to start posting, here would be a good place!
Sergei
Flight 1
Flight 1
1/144 Interest: No
Scotland

1:144 subject matter

Post by Sergei »

G'day from sunny Scotland.

A general query. Is it known whether F-Toys are open to suggestions, and if so how does one go about it?

Whilst the range of subjects that F-Toys has tackled is vast nevertheless there are a number of subjects that would fit in with what has already been produced. I would like to see a set celebrating the final days of the piston engine featuring the Grumman Tigercat, DH Hornet and maybe the Bristol Brigand.

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: 1:144 subject matter

Post by bluedonkey99 »

I think MTC might have a bit of an inside track these days.

Interestingly, the next (and sadly unexciting blue Impluse release) will have the information leaflets in Japanese and English for the first time.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Welcome from not-quite-so-sunny Melbourne, Sergei. If anyone can get info out of China, it would be Mark (mtcc75). And I'm sure you will have piqued his interest straight up with the reference to the Brigand. I know the type is of major personal significance as no doubt he will explain when he reads this. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Sergei,
A welcome from Devon too! Nice suggestions, what are your main interests?
David

Sergei
Flight 1
Flight 1
Scotland

Post by Sergei »

I suffer from too many themes. Flying boats; De Havilland; the Ironworks; history of the RAF/FAA; Eastern Bloc aircraft to name but a few.
I started with 1:144 diecast in 1998, branched into 1:72 but have since re-focused on 1:144 having been disappointed by and studiously avoided 1:48 diecast. I don't like too much mixing of scales.
Over the past couple of years I have been building increasing numbers of 1:144 subjects in order to develop particular themes. A recent completion is a Valom Brisfit which was not the easiest, particularly as I decided to rig it!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As some of our more established members know, I had a similar dilemma, albeit that I committed to 1/144 exclusively relatively early after resuming modelling in 2006 after a decade hiatus. Consequently, whilst my principal focus was WW2 and thereabouts (my fave period since I was a kid, running around with my Airfix Spitfire Mk IX and Bf109G-6), I did branch out, adding modern aircraft and even around 20-odd Wings of War/Wings of Glory WW1 miniatures to the display cabinets. However, with the significant growth in available 1/144 options and a realisation that my display and stash space weren't infinite (dammit!), I started culling the collection back to my said focus. With the one "out" for earlier and later aircraft being anything that served with our military services (i.e. the RAAF, RAN and Australian Army).

Don't get me wrong. There are times when I wander into a hobby shop, see something outside my scope and - horror of horrors - not even 1/144, and the Temptation Demons start whispering into my ear, "Buy it! Buy it!" So far, through steely resolve, I have resisted. Well, that and a near-empty wallet! :oops:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Sergei
Flight 1
Flight 1
Scotland

Post by Sergei »

I grew up within earshot of the De Havilland works in Hatfield. Although by then (the mid 1960s) it had technically been Hawker Siddley for a good number of years it was still known locally as De Havillands.

As a consequence one of my main themes has been De Havilland aircraft since the Airco days and my collection has at times had to cross the scale boundaries between 1:72 and 1:144. There have been a handful of gaps that I have been able to fill with resin kits, at least until injection molded alternatives come along - the DH-83 FoxMoth being a case in point. One particular gap that needed addressing has been the DH-85 Leopard Moth and I had given serious consideration to using an Oxford Puss Moth as a donor airframe but yesterday I came across some excellent news that Dekno will soon be releasing a resin Leopard Moth kit in 1:72. I have their Hornet Moth kit and I have put off building it purely to delay the pleasure. It is a thing of beauty, fully justifying the price.

1:144 has provided solutions for the DH Comet, Trident and 125 and I have several F-Toys Mosquitos including one which I re-finished as the Mossie prototype W4050 - looks good in all over yellow. A recent addition has been the Mark 1 Models Vampire which I was quite impressed with. I am not a fan of their rendition of the Mossie but the quality of recent toolings has been good.

The new Mark 1 HS748, whilst not a DH product, will be needed to join its other HS stablemates. So many models and so little time!

Return to “1/144 General Discussion”