Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

RLM Luftwaffe comparison chart

A place for you to be able to put newly discovered links or websites, or even plain old tried and trusted favourites!
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: RLM Luftwaffe comparison chart

Post by Wege »

smeg1959 wrote:I did say that Metro discontinued Lifecolor. Well, very shortly thereafter, they also discontinued the Humbrol acrylics! The remnants of both ranges are sitting in plastic tubs, selling at half price. Unfortunately, all the colours I need now or possibly in the future are gone. :cry:
did they erase the enamels as well?

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

No, enamels are safe, both in the traditional tinlets and their plastic counterparts.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

On some well-known modelling forums, I’ve read that members revisiting old threads is frowned upon. When the term “zombie thread” is raised, the rest of the members shun the individual responsible for the transgression. I can even picture the metaphorical equivalent of clobbering said member over the head with a cricket bat, as per Shaun of the Dead. As an Administrator of this forum, I can assure you that some zombies need re-animating from time to time. And to prove it …

This one is a spin-off from my Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" build, which started in GB11 and ended, in true Smeg fashion, on the Shelf of Shame. Having discovered that I had BOTH the Lifecolor and Vallejo versions of RLM81, I decided to do a little test. For the record, the Lifecolor product number is UA510 and the Vallejo Model Air number is 71.043. I airbrushed each either side of Lifecolor’s RLM82 (UA511) to see the contrast. I also sprayed the two side-by-side. The canvas is a Bandai Mosquito wing that has been used for several experiments over the past decade (hence, the surface roughness in some places).
Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (11).jpg
As you can see, Lifecolor has gone with the greenish version and Vallejo with the brownish tone. The latter’s bottle is actually labelled both “Braunviolett RLM81” and “Olive Drab”, though it looks a tad too brown for my interpretation of the latter. What I see and what the camera sees are definitely different, although I admit that, even to the human eye, the Lifecolor RLM81 looks different on either end of the wing despite being applied at the same time. The camera extenuates this, with the right side looking more bluish. Yes, it is an iPhone camera and yes, the artificial lighting isn’t even, but it does reinforce just how hard it can be interpreting photos without seeing the real thing up close and personal. Shadows, angles, weather conditions, film stock … the potential variations are huge. From the standpoint of the RLM81 debate, the two versions are clearly very different, with the brownish Vallejo version giving a greater contrast against the RLM82.

Let’s see the same photo converted to greyscale.
Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (11a).jpg
Now there’s even less contrast between Lifecolor’s bluish green RLM81 and the RLM82; little wonder why a two-colour scheme may be interpreted as a single colour. I know there’s very little scientific about my approach, as extrapolation to the real deal is rife with pitfalls. In addition, there’s a bucketload of conjecture to this day as to whether the extremes reported for RLM81 actually existed. Even read that German documents found recently in Czechoslovakia reported that RLM81 was simply pre-war RLM61 reborn (and that was brownish).

PS. The zombie walks. Now wait for BD99 to strip me of my Admin privileges … :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

I never could understand why people were so against posting in an old thread when the new information was relevant to the old. It reduces the number of threads to search through for a start, reminds readers what has been said before, and lets new people see the whole discussion in one place.
I have always felt and said that despite what various paint manufacturers claim as to the accuracy of their product it is up to the individual model maker to decide what they feel is the best match for the colour they are trying to achieve.
Regards
Peter

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

pbhawkin wrote:I never could understand why people were so against posting in an old thread when the new information was relevant to the old. It reduces the number of threads to search through for a start, reminds readers what has been said before, and lets new people see the whole discussion in one place.
I have always felt and said that despite what various paint manufacturers claim as to the accuracy of their product it is up to the individual model maker to decide what they feel is the best match for the colour they are trying to achieve.
I agree, don't understand the Zombie thread concept. if there is an update or addition why not resume it.

I suppose it may have some bearing on the context of the forum and not dredging up old ground or dead and buried subject, but clearly there is a practical element to resurrecting adormant thread!

What i find weird, is those forums that actively purge "old/zombie" threads... why not just storm those municipal libraries and start the bonfires!? :roll: :lol:

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

smeg1959 wrote: What I see and what the camera sees are definitely different,
Very true, even then how each of our screen render said image and how our eyes perceive it can vary - as evidenced in the "dress" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_constancy
smeg1959 wrote: although I admit that, even to the human eye, the Lifecolor RLM81 looks different on either end of the wing despite being applied at the same time. The camera extenuates this, with the right side looking more bluish
This also is a known phenomena the same colour can look different when seperated by one (or more colours)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

bluedonkey99 wrote:This also is a known phenomena the same colour can look different when seperated by one (or more colours)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion
Oddly enough, I was watching an episode of QI on the box the other night and they were discussing exactly this phenomenon.
OTB ...

Return to “1/144 Links of Interest”