Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Brengun 1/144 Avrocar VZ-9 (2016)

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Brengun 1/144 Avrocar VZ-9 (2016)

Post by MerlinJones »

In the late 1950s, with the Cold War getting increasingly frosty, there were no shortages of bright ideas and engineers prepared to think out of the box, to push the envelope and to generally provide clichés for future business presentations. One of those was Canadian designer John “Jack” Frost who, having cut his teeth with de Havilland and Britain’s post-war jets, went on to develop the CF-100 Canuck. Working within a Special Projects Group with blue skies research, he sought to exploit the coanda effect and to create an essentially VTOL craft for the military. As far as those bright sparks were concerned, by the time we reached the year 2000, we would all have flying cars and working jetpacks. Alas, sadly, it was not to be and we can only gaze backwards, to look at what might have been and be thankful to the likes of Fly and Brengun to give us models of the fantastical.

Whilst Fly went ahead with a 1/72 model, Brengun have produced another delightful 1/144 model for us, to accompany their already established range of brilliant 1/144 photoetch, resin and complete models.
For those unfamiliar with 1/144, if you have a need for a tiny Penny Farthing, or standard bicycle, in this sensible scale, Brengun provide. They also make a superb and varied range of 1/144 airfield accessories, including maintenance ladders and engine hoists. Their other 1/144 kits include a Fokker EIV and a Flying Flea. I strongly recommend that you out their web page for more.
Anyway, back to the model in hand and we have the usual high standard of resin casting for the main hull, with a telescope/bazooka, (you decide) and a tiny set of three little wheels. The twin canopies are provided as clear vacform pieces and there’s a photoetch fret for the finer details, including seats, harness, grab handles and a pair of stretchers, (I kid you not), for the ambulance version.
The small, but adequate, decal sheet gives you options for olive green US Army or US Marine examples, or a silver Air Force craft.. We’re talking “What-If?” here, so you can play, without fear of criticism from more…er…knowledgeable modellers.

Remember that we are talking 1/144 scale here, so the size of the pieces may prove challenging for some. I know that I struggled to find a completed photoetch seat, once I’d carefully done the necessary origami with fine brass sheeting, added the three miniscule harness straps and then pinged the lot into the ether. Took me the best part of a day to find it again! One lives…one learns. On the plus side, whilst searching, I found a pilot I’d lost, long, long ago.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Re: Brengun 1/144 Avrocar VZ-9 (2016)

Post by MerlinJones »

It'll be interesting painting those teeny-weeny wheels!
Superb casting, as is usually the case for Brengun.
NOTE that whilst a bazooka gun-type thingy is supplied, there are also two PE stretchers for the ambulance version.

This'll be a cool companion for my Fly 1/72 version.

I struggled to find a completed photoetch seat, once I’d carefully done the necessary origami with fine brass sheeting, added the three miniscule harness straps and then pinged the lot into the ether. Took me the best part of a day to find it again! One lives…one learns. On the plus side, whilst searching, I found a pilot I’d lost, long, long ago...along with three single socks!

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by MerlinJones »

Having added the two seats into their respective cockpits, I did consider adding more detail. However, I changed my mind after a dry-fit of one of the vacform canopies. Whilst these are very clear and thin, their bubble-shape distorts what little you can see inside and I felt that time spent detailing the interiors would have been wasted. Too many more to build and so little time within the Modelling Man Cave.

(As an aside, it’s my understanding that single-seat versions of the Avrocar could have existed and it would be a simple measure to blank off one of the cockpits, if that’s what took your fancy).
I opted for an Army Ambulance version and used Humbrol H155 for my Olive Green and Humbrol Polished Aluminium Metalcote for the nicely moulded fan blades. Given the craziness of the concept, making the ambulance version was suitably bonkers and I had to take some time bending the etched stretchers, to stick onto the rear deck of the wee beastie.
I know that anything goes within the World of Whiffery, but whilst I could sort of appreciate a reconnaissance and scouting role for the Avrocar, I did struggle to imagine the efficacy of strapping the wounded to those exposed stretchers!

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by MerlinJones »

Brengun 1/144 Avrocar VZ-9 "What-If?"

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by MerlinJones »

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Lovely little build, Merlin. Pity the concept of the Avrocar never really took off (no pun intended). Would have enjoyed watching these little guys whizzing about. ;)
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Folgore (F-Toys)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)
Other - Arado Ar196A-1 (F-Toys)

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Hard to judge size until the classic 'in the hand' shot. That's definitely a small flying disc.

I have a handful of Brengun resins but always get fed up when I see the amount of de-sprue-ing required. Do you saw or cut them off?

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by MerlinJones »

Tim R-T-C wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 14:17
Hard to judge size until the classic 'in the hand' shot. That's definitely a small flying disc.

I have a handful of Brengun resins but always get fed up when I see the amount of de-sprue-ing required. Do you saw or cut them off?
I usually saw at a slight distance from the piece, finishing off with files and then sandpaper...all moistened, of course, to reduce dust, (although the accessability of face masks now makes that less of an onerous task ;) ).
I also use a wire brush to keep my razor saw clean.

Tim R-T-C
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star

Post by Tim R-T-C »

MerlinJones wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 14:25
Tim R-T-C wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 14:17

I usually saw at a slight distance from the piece, finishing off with files and then sandpaper...all moistened, of course, to reduce dust, (although the accessability of face masks now makes that less of an onerous task ;) ).
I also use a wire brush to keep my razor saw clean.
Thanks. Yes I managed to liberate a box of FFP3 masks from work when they didn't need them any more 😉

Return to “1/144 "What If?"”