Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Methods of small scale model photography

Frequently Asked Questions on any topic relating to 1/144 modelling.
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Methods of small scale model photography

Post by Wege »

Nice thread.. nice reading :)

I think this was 'just' touched on here.

I think a lot of folks select Macro for their cameras and get the camera close.

I think that sometimes people keep getting "OMG that looks so clunky" shots because of:

A- People take pictures too close up and the image is incredibly magnified
B- The light is not the best so Apperture Priority (A mode) is often selected, particularly when there is no tripod handy, to get as much light as possible.
C- people may forget about Exposure control (if it is available and it often is on a suprising amount of digital cameras)
D- A tripod is a really really good thing to have (I will get one.... probably a Gorrilapod) to assist with a decent exposure length.
E- Consider taking the picture on shutter-delay. That is the option that takes a picture 2 (or 10) seconds AFTER the shutter button is selected. This helps to minimise the amount of camera shake (even on a tripod) that may occur by you pressing the shutter-release button

Oh yeah.
Experiment with Apperture Priority. Select the largest setting and work your way to the smallest (or reverse that order). Now have a look at the images on the PC and see how they come out (even if you are not going to post them online).

I have used for a lot of my earlier shots my wife's Sony point-and-shoot with macro function. I currently am using a Panasonic G3 with kit 14-45mm lens. I think I have taken over 2000photos and I am starting to get used to the camera - most are just 'how does this work' shots.

Oh yes. If your camera has an HDR setting, try that out - you may be pleasantly suprised.

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

Well, an update.

I currently use both my Panasonic G85 and G3 (still).

The G85 is considerably more advanced than the G3 and allows for something called "focus bracketing".

What that allows is for the camera (when set to a small number F-stop (a big aperture actually)) to take multiple shots sequentially with the camera selecting different points of focus.

You can then load the resulting images into software (such as Lightroom, Affinity Photo, etc) to do a 'focus merge' or 'focus stack'.

That then allows for you to select the best/sharpest images to create an image that is in focus from front to back/side-to-side, as you require.

Check these for two examples (Not the best, I am first to admit) as it is still early days of technology use for me.... but it holds so much promise.

The focus-bracket is a recent development of cameras and I think is getting more and more common (I think through mirrorless cameras rather than standard DSLRs.....) Some 'compact point-and-shoots' have this feature too.

It also helps to have a lens that is suitable for this.

Failing that, you can manually 'focus bracket' your camera by having a small 'rail' (think of a kind of rail-way car on a sliding tripod) and moving the camera, with fixed focus lens, backwards or forwards by, say 2-5mm, between taking each image, enabling a whole range of shots across the length or width of the model.

I am currently experimenting with this focus bracketing and doing some 'arty-type' shots as well.

As you can see, dust is an issue particularly with side-lighting or rear-lighting. Grrrr
Attachments
me262 czech two seater.jpg
a6m2 zeke.jpg

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

Well, not much in the way of 'improvement' - other photography and work has come into play (as it does)

A standard 'tripod' arrangement but stacked with different angles of light with the camera in the same position (and shutter time span.. same aperture though of I think f10?)

It was stacked and then all layers (bar the base layer ) hand a blending mode of 'lighten' applied... I then deleted out the light areas that I didn't want... and turned the image into a bit of a low-key one but with light appearing to come from all sorts of angles.. :)

The Ju87 is not complete, btw... :)
Attachments
stuka_m262_2000px.jpg

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Very moody, that Stuka. :)

Return to “1/144 Model and Collecting F.A.Q's”