Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Luftwaffe Camouflage Techniques

Frequently Asked Questions on any topic relating to 1/144 modelling.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Luftwaffe Camouflage Techniques

Post by smeg1959 »

As a Luftwaffe tragic, I thought I'd start the ball rolling on this topic with an article I came across whilst looking for a local supplier of Lifecolor RLM 76:

http://www.bigscalemodels.com/tips/tips ... _paint.pdf

The article goes through the process of "reverse mottling" using a 1/72 He219A "Uhu" as an example. Whilst it looks time-consuming, it would get around the issue I occasionally encounter in that my mottle appears too "structured" and not random enough. By using BluTac or similar, you manipulate the masks around until you are satisfied, and only then spray the model. Admittedly, fine mottles like the one in the article may be difficult in 1/144 as the BluTac "blobs" would have to be tiny. I'm probably not skillful - or patient - enough to try and replicate such a fine mottle in 1/144 scale but I know there are whizzes on this forum who will have the necessary attributes to carry it off. :mrgreen:

However, I do have a couple of models on the bench which might get the "reverse mottle" treatment. Stay tuned ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Luftwaffe Camouflage Techniques

Post by Wege »

Ah yes.. this article.. cheers for the reminder :) The nearest I could think of for Blu-tac/Utac/Sticky blobs application would be someone using Humbrol Maskol applied with the tip of a pin or needle and let surface-tension randomness create the 'shape' of the mottle.

?

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

The only problem that you might get using very small drops of Maskol is removing it without damaging the surrounding paintwork. I recently used it for a RAAF camo pattern and did have a couple of issues removing all of it from crevices. Worked OK in the end but took some gentle probing with the end of a very sharp modelling knife blade.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Post by Triggerhappy »

I've used this technique on my Natter to create the strange "random streaks and squiggles" pattern on the upper surfaces. I didn't read the article, I just thought that using white tac masks might work better than using a paint brush - and it did. Sprayed the green first, then rolled the white tac into tiny "sausages" and tacked them in a criss-cross pattern onto the surfaces. After that, I just sprayed some light coats of blue-grey over, removed the masks, and it was done. Depending on how high these white tac "worms" are and how much paint you spray over them, you can get nice soft edges on the pattern. I'd recommend only lightly "misting" the surface from a distance at a 90 degree angle to get a good result.

Edit: That's what I'm referring to: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... stored.jpg

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Have you any photos of your completed Natter that you could post up to show us the finish? Definitely thinking about it for a couple of Anigrand Luft 46 items awaiting painting at the moment.
OTB ...

Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Post by Triggerhappy »

I can take some pictures but that will have to wait until December. I'm in the middle of moving houses and everything model-related is stored away in carboard boxes at the moment. If all goes well, not only will I have an extra room available in my new apartment but more importantly I will also have some spare time again to work on my models - I haven't had a single free minute since spring.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A few of us have been in similar situations. When will work, spouses and kids realise that we would be much happier, productive individuals if people would give us ample modelling time? :twisted:
OTB ...

Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Post by Triggerhappy »

Okay, so it's January now but I've finally managed to get everything set up now and I'm ready to start building again. So here's the photos I promised. The camo pattern was painted by spraying green first, then masking those stripes with white tac (or something similar to white tac) and then spraying grey-blue over everything. It was my first attempt using this technique, so there's still room for improvement (for example, next time, I will make sure to only spray the second colour from one angle to create softer edges) but I'm satisfied over all.

The Natter is a really nice model by the way. First one from Fox One, that I've built.

Edit: Just in case anybody is wondering - yes, there are still tamiya tape masks applied to the canopy, and yes, there is a toothpick sticking out of the exhaust. ;)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Nothing worse than having a toothpick up your exhaust! :twisted:

Really like the effect, so I might try something similar on my Anigrand Skoda-Kauba which has been sitting awaiting its camo since last October ... :roll:
OTB ...

Return to “1/144 Model and Collecting F.A.Q's”