Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Glues and adhesives

Frequently Asked Questions on any topic relating to 1/144 modelling.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Glues and adhesives

Post by smeg1959 »

After an evening where my cyanoacrylate (often referred to as simply CA or by its original trade name "Superglue") failed to stick a resin prop blade to a spinner even after holding it steady for 5 minutes, I went looking for an answer. It appears that, whilst CA glues have a shelf life of around 12 months at normal room temperatures, they quickly deteriorate after opening. This is because cyanoacrylate polymerizes when exposed to air, becoming thicker and curing ever more slowly over time. According to some manufacturers, you should discard the tube/bottle 30 days after opening.

Yes, tonight's CA is now languishing in the bin but, on the positive side, I did get nigh on 3 months of value before it reached this state of uselessness. :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: Glues and adhesives

Post by Wege »

I had a bottle that was a thick version.

It was useful for about 12months. (trys to remember the brand)

erix700
Flight #4
Flight #4
1/144 Interest: No

Post by erix700 »

Are you sure it was just the age of the glue ? 'sounds to me like some mould release agents were left on the resin (some resin casters use silicone oil which is rather hard to remove).

In my experience CA remains 'sticky' as long as it hasn't completely solidified.
I often use old gelled-up CA for filling gaps and shrink marks, 'works better than fresh CA because once gelled-up it shrinks even less when curing.

Shelf life of CA depends very much on ambient humidity as it needs moisture to polymerize.
My tubes of CA usually last me about 6 months, I never noticed much difference between different brands WRT shelf life, the really cheap brands smell a bit stronger (and fog a bit more) though.

HTH,
-- Eric.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Hi Eric,

Firstly, a big welcome to the forum! :D

I always give the resin parts a good wash first, although I agree traces of release agent may remain. It was definitely the glue itself in this case because I also tried to stick some gashapon parts together with the same lack of success. Re: shelf life, I do avoid the El Cheapo brands for precisely that reason. After the recent problems, I've gone back to the smaller 5-mL bottles as I'm likely to use them up completely long before shelf life becomes a potential issue.

Greg
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “1/144 Model and Collecting F.A.Q's”