Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

A call to use scalemates (website updated)

Frequently Asked Questions on any topic relating to 1/144 modelling.
ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
1/144 Interest: Yes
Netherlands

A call to use scalemates (website updated)

Post by ph-adk »

I have been updating my scalemates lately. The stash list was up to date but the wishlist could do better. Some kits have to be added yourself. I still have to add a couple of shapeways models, but I want to ask Tim to give them a separate box to tick.

I know some of you guys have a stash the size of a small house, but when the jobs done it's very easy to use. And most important for me: when a model is added to your wishlist you can see if someone has it for sale (so also add the kits you have for sale) I already bought kits from two persons lately.

You can find my wishlist at the bottom of this message.

So, I want to encourage you to use it, and make 1/144 scale a big one on scalemates.

Lex
Last edited by ph-adk on Wed Aug 02, 2017 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Re: A call to use scalemates

Post by Wege »

care to do a decent guide on how to update the 'scale mates' list?

I failed a few times.. I found it clunky.

Admittedly this was over 2 years ago when I last attempted it.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Of course.

Adding a kit to your stash or in my example to your wishlist is easy. Go to https://www.scalemates.com en fill out mil mi-26 in the search box (right corner)

Now find the kit you would like to have and click the green plus button. Now you can add the kit to stash or wishlist.

If the kit is not listed on scalemates yet, you have to add it yourself. Admitted, this happened to me more than once. This is also why I gave out the call to use it more, we are a tiny community but if we don't stand up for ourselves other scale modelers keep depreciating us. Those 1/48 bullies :x

Okay, adding requires some extra actions. As always, you want to add a kit to your wishlist of stash but when you search it it is not listed. Now go to the contribute button and click it:

Start filling out the required fields. First field is always good for extra work. The company name does not exist on scalemates. (For instance my example is a shape ways 3D westland wasp) So when you type the name of the 'company' you'll find 3D boats isn't listed:

So now you tick the button not in list and after that add a missing company:

Yes, that could have been one step faster indeed (did someone say clunky?)

Now fill in the company details and add the company logo. Often on shape ways there is a logo. Scalemates only accepts .jpg format so you will have to convert the logo with a online .jpg converter. This all sounds clunky indeed but when you have added a kit the second one is easy I promise.

Good, the company is added and now you do find 3D Boats listed when you continue adding a kit. Yes, that was the first plan of action indeed.

Now comes the number. There has to be a number. Of course this is how scalemates works, no double kits and complete accuracy is required for a good database BUT..
There is no number with this kit. It isn't even a kit like a kit in the good old days, with a bit of luck you are the first one to actually physically have a 1/144 wasp.
So number one it is. As if there is going to be another wasp in 1/144. And if there will be, we'll manage even if the numbers aren't right.

Now fill out the rest of the form, try to be as complete as possible. You would like it to if everything is listed correctly. (oh, I forgot about the kit number there) The topic is important too, go by the listed ones, do not make up your own. Westland wasp it is.

Add a box art picture. In this case I took the shape ways picture and made a screenshot, online converted it to .jpg, en added it to the kit.

You're done. Now press save changes and after that the kit is shown in the edit menu again. Click view product in the right corner:

And now you can add the kit to your wishlist of stash:

It's not difficult really. It is thorough yes, but it has to be. I like the fact that I can go trough my stash without opening a box in the attic. Also when you view a kit all the extra's like decals and PE come on screen. And it is a big community. And of no danger to kampfgruppe, that is a different subject. So please, give it a try. You can start by making a profile with your kampfgruppe name and add the newly bought kits ;)

Cheers mate.

Lex

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Thanks Lex - that's a really helpful walkthrough. I've found Scalemates a hugely useful resource in the past. I may have to get signed up. My only reservation about using it for stash tracking is that it currently doesn't have Gashopon (didn't last I checked anyway). I could add each boxing but that would be quite a taxing process. I'll have a play and see where I get to.

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

really nice walkthrough sir...

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

My pleasure.

Yes gashapon, I going to talk about that also with Tim. Just as we need a box for 3D printed models. The more of us using scalemates, the less work it will be adding kits. Just start off with the new ones you buy, it's all exciting when you open the box, write a little review here, find the box with navy planes to put it in and finally add it online to your stash.

Lex

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

I have used Scalemates to find model reviews but so far not for keeping a record of the stash. To be honest the task is a daunting one although I could refer to my photo record of them without pulling everything out to see whats there.
My only reservation about using it for stash tracking is that it currently doesn't have Gashopon
Given the growing size of my Gashapon stash, I think if they had the means to add these in the same way as regular kits I would start to use it. My manuscript list of gashapon models is pretty much up to date so would not be took much of a chore. I haven't been buying as many regular kits as I used to (then again I have enough for two lifetimes anyway).

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Re: A call to use scalemates (website updated)

Post by ph-adk »

I've emailed Tim from scalemates about the issues mentioned above. From now on it is possible to upload photos from shapeways with a .png extension. Also you can tick a box with 3d printed parts.

Gashapon doesn't get it's own product type. These can be sorted by snap-tite models. If you do have very good reasons why gashapon should have it's own product type please leave a message below, I think Tim will read it ;)

Cheers, Lex

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

grey area.

I mean... Pit Road.... , Platz, Tomy-Takara,

TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Post by TonyG2 »

Well I took the plunge and registered at scalemates. Now faced with task of adding the stash details. Presently just adding models I know I have more or less as placeholders. Will get the correct
numbers added later.

There are some ftoys already on the site such as the heliborne osprey. So may not need a dedicated entry for gashapon so long as the description shows it is prefinished snap fit type.

Return to “1/144 Model and Collecting F.A.Q's”