Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Storing Your Collection?

Frequently Asked Questions on any topic relating to 1/144 modelling.
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
1/144 Interest: No

Storing Your Collection?

Post by TonyG2 »

Just wondering how you go about storing your completed 144 kits. That is to stay, storing for sake keeping not for display. I have tried various methods over the years, none of which have been wholly acceptable (make do at best) but regarding smaller a/c and helicopters (say, nothing much bigger than a an A-26 Invader (first example that came to mind) I have tried.

1. Place into small cardboard cartons with some packing material (shredded paper, cotton wool, bubblewrap etc). Not that good as the cartons can deform under the weight of the boxes stored on top (keeping to a single layer means problems with storage space). Plus vital to note the contents on the box!!!!!

2. Use commercially available packing boxes. I use a brand called "Really Useful"

Image These are transparent with snap lock tops and are designed to stack.. As such they are better able to take the weight of overlying levels. And being transparent, the contents are obvious. Again, use some packing material for added protection. Downside? The price.

3. I have used the type of plastic stacked sliding trays used for storing printer paper. A set maybe runs to 4 or 5 trays and I can get a lot of 1/144 a/c (mainly smaller tyoes - not much bugger than an F-15) onto each tray. The units stay and are pretty safe. If you put in a sheet of thick card it stops the models sliding around too much. Don't cost too much but less able to pack for protection. Plus weight on the undercarriage....

So, any thoughts or other suggestions?

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: Storing Your Collection?

Post by bluedonkey99 »

I have these in loft, you can also get insert for these crates that are compartmentalised in layers. The only down side is that these 'really useful comoany' boxes are quite expensive though the quality is good - however, I've split a few lids overtime.

Also assortment of packing boxes..

Return to “1/144 Model and Collecting F.A.Q's”