Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

A transplanted Massachusetts native retired in FL

New Joiners, plus new forum features, functions and questions!
Hun Yock
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

A transplanted Massachusetts native retired in FL

Post by Hun Yock »

Hello-I am a born and raised MA native in FL because of retirement and lower cost of living, not really by choice. I lived not far from 2 large AFBs in western MA, Barnes and Westover. Loved watching the black belly B-52s in late '60s when I was a teen headed to the Far East. I also use to wander to Logan airport in Boston and watch the airliners, 727, 737, A320s and later in life traveled from Boston to Tampa on many excursions. So my interest in 1/144 is mainly airliners and military bombers and cargo. I had a brother who was a maintenance officer at Forbes for a "fleet" of C-130Es, another subject I like. Nice place here.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Re: A transplanted Massachusetts native retired in FL

Post by ajmm »

Welcome from a rain-drenched London! It's good to have you here. I hope Roden keeps on making their large bombers and cargo aircraft - I too am a bit of a fan and it seems to be something of a golden era for that genre in this scale.

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Marshall Islands

Post by Jonathan »

hey bud! I live in Amherst, and work in W.Spfld. I see C-5s out of Westover, and the F-15s stationed at Barnes every day.
my model intersts align with yours, mostly silver and white tubes with wings. coal haulers etc.
Ive lived here 58 years. I remember KC-135s flying out of Westover, loudest jets ever! and a whole heard of Caribou! :mrgreen:
I hope you will share some model building here.
He who can command himself
Is good to govern

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I'll join the welcoming committee and, as Jonathan said, we hope to see some of your creations. Also hope that you escaped the clutches of Hurricane Ian when it came roaring through Florida. ;)
OTB ...
GB18 - B-25B Mitchell (F-Toys), Beaufighter Mk VIc (Mark I), MC.200 Saetta (Sweet)
GB20 - AW.650-222 Argosy (MikroMir)

144flynavy
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
United States of America

Post by 144flynavy »

Welcome aboard!
Your profile says you also like intel aircraft too. I have been waiting for a build post on Roden's RC-135V/W.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out MC84's awesome big aircraft (jets and props) builds.

Hope you are close to NAS Pensacola home of the National Naval Aviation Museum!

Hun Yock
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Hun Yock »

Thanks, I will post images soon of my builds. I am currently working on a Hobbycraft 1/144 RB-47H. I do not live close to Pensacola. I do however live about 20 minutes from MacDill AFB in Tampa and 10 minutes from St Pete Airport which also has the St Pete-Clearwater Coast Guard Air Station. I live close to the runway and have Coast Guard C-130s, Jayhawk helos and an occasional P-8 Poseidon flying low over my house on approach to the runway. That and the St Pete Airport has Allegiant Air A320s coming and going. When I first moved here 8 years ago Allegiant had a fleet of MadDog 80s but they have been retired. Not to mention the monthly FL National Guard UH60s. It can be very busy here at times.

TonyG2
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
England

Post by TonyG2 »

A belated welcome from Bomber County in the UK.

The bombers have since departed, with the retirement of the Vulcans both from active service and display flights but we are graced by regular overflights by the Battle of Britain flights Lancaster, plus the Spitfire and Hurricanes. RAF Coningsby is 6 miles down the road (so we get plenty of Typhoon action) and RAF Waddington is 20 miles to the north. Not a lot of variety there now with the R1 Sentinel and the E-3 Awac being "officially" retired in 2021. Waddington is now home to the RAF Rivet Joints but the E-7 Wedgettails may be located there. The old Nimrods are replaced by the Poseidon but are being based in Lossiemouth. Waddington has also become the home of the drone. UK drone operations are directed from there.

So Bomber County may be the historic name but not really appropriate for its present day role.

However a kind of new arrival is the transfer of the Red Arrows display team to Waddington from RAF Scampton (a massive migration of about 10miles....)

We dont see much activity from the USAF around here (unless you are watching the live air traffic control radar and then there is plenty usually at over 15,000 feet!)

Return to “Welcome New Members”