Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Hello from Yorkshire, UK

New Joiners, plus new forum features, functions and questions!
Tim R-T-C
Flight #144
Flight #144
1/144 Interest: No

Hello from Yorkshire, UK

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Hello all,

Thought I'd finally join this forum. I've been back into modelling for a year now. I did some modelling as a teenager, mostly railways but I did build some planes for an air museum on my layout which being N gauge meant 144th scale. These were mostly the Academy kits, cobbled together with whatever hobby paints I could get.

So returning to the hobby last year I gravitated towards 144th scale, helped by attending some local model shows and meeting Mike, Andy and members of the 144 SIG who showed what potential and variety the scale had.

I have subsequently built up a fair stash which I am slowly digging into!

Probably because of my old railway modelling habits, I like to add some scenery to all my builds, from small bases (often Pringles lids) to more complex designs. I feel it helps place the model in a setting and makes it more noticeable, particularly on my local club table at IPMS shows.

A few of my builds from the past year. Apologies for low quality, just taken on my phone.

My Pringles lids specials, a pair of Sweet P51Bs and Mark 1 French Mohawks.

My last two projects. Baldonnel Airfield 1960 with the Retrowings Spitfire and Miniwings Provost and the Zurich Air Show 1937 with the Armory Bf109 B2 and Eduard Avia B534.

I look forward to sharing more projects soon.

Tim

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Hello from Yorkshire, UK

Post by pbhawkin »

welcome to the forum. A great collection you have so far. I look forward to seeing more.
Regards
Peter

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Hi Tim, welcome!
That’s a great collection. I really like the way you display them in pairs too. I’ll definitely look forward to seeing more of your work. :D

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Not sure why this keeps happening, but No. 3 in a "Welcome to the forum" post again comes from an Aussie! No doubt, you'll be getting the big hello from your fellow countrymen very soon! :P

Great to have you on board and, as F_IV said, the mini dioramas with the aircraft in pairs is a novel idea. One of our members who resides in Conwy (mike_m) would be especially delighted with your Irish pairing, as he has prepared sets of decals that cover other examples of aircraft in the IAC.
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Hi Tim,
It's a bit welcome from down here in Devon. Some very good modelling and novel ways of displaying the fruits of your labour. Do you intend to go to Telford this year?
David
By the way do you mind if I steal the Pringle idea? My wife likes the crisps........

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Fantastic work and a big welcome from me too.

Tim R-T-C
Flight #144
Flight #144

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Thanks for the nice welcome.
BigReg wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:39
Hi Tim,
It's a bit welcome from down here in Devon. Some very good modelling and novel ways of displaying the fruits of your labour. Do you intend to go to Telford this year?
David
By the way do you mind if I steal the Pringle idea? My wife likes the crisps........
Yes, if it runs I will be there, at the SIG144 and Keighley club stands.

Feel free to make some Pringles lid bases! I fill them with clay or plaster. Coffee tin and bisto gravy lids work too.

You can fit anything from a 288th scale airfield to a 87th scale vignette into them 😉

strobez
Flight #3
Flight #3
Korea South

Post by strobez »

That's some great stuff Tim! I've used the Pringles lids as well, but I find them murder to paint. Of course, you seem to use them inverted and filled, I just had them right side up and I kept scratching off the paint, to I abandoned the idea. I might have to give it another go though... :)
Thanks, Greg

Feel free to check out my blog - https://strobez.ca/wp/

Return to “Welcome New Members”