Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Hello from the USA

New Joiners, plus new forum features, functions and questions!
Historylover
Flight #5
Flight #5
1/144 Interest: No
United States of America

Hello from the USA

Post by Historylover »

Good afternoon gentle folk,

Wanted to thank Martin for allowing me to register, found ya'lls site early into my journey back to my roots so to speak this year and couldn't find the registration button. Was able to email the admin though. :D

Built military models from 11 or so until 18 years old, 1/72, 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 or 72 armor during that time period. ~13 year hiatus until talking with one of my wife's co-workers at her company Christmas shindig and his passion was model cars got the juices flowing again. Started doing research and decided that if I got back into the scene I would give 1/144 aircraft a try. Seemed easy on the wallet, easy on space to display.

A few weeks later in February took the kids to Hobby Lobby and decided to check out the scale model section. They had an Academy 1/144 F-4 Phantom (My absolute favorite US jet) in Luftwaffe livery for all of $8. Figured it was fate and what better way to test the waters. Built it in one night, painted it the next and I was hooked yet again.

So here we are, 1/144 aircraft as a main focus (1/72 when no one makes particular aircraft in 1/144) has blossomed into also: 1/350 submarines, 1/700 ships, and 1/72 armor again. :lol:

Thinking the easiest way to share my 9 finished models is by splitting them up into hand brush and air brush. The most recent two are post receiving early Father's Day money from my 2 wonderful kids towards an airbrush. This way I won't spam the forum. :)
On the Bench:
Academy/Minicraft He-111 H6 of KG26
Scouts Out base
Minicraft Mitsubishi A6M2 POW

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Devon

Re: Hello from the USA

Post by BigReg »

Welcome aboard Sir! I'm looking forward to seeing your Phantom, got to love an F4.

David in Devon

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A very warm welcome from Down Under, too!

Your tale of a lengthy hiatus in modelling is similar to mine, with work and postgrad study intervening for the better part of a decade. I'd cut my teeth on good ol' 1/72, then went through various 1/48, 1/35 and 1/32 phases, but pretty much everything was sold/given away/binned/lost by the turn of the millennium. I almost accidentally discovered 1/144 in 2006 with a couple of "what the hey" purchases of Takara and Popy gashapon on evilBay. From there, the snowball began its rapid descent down the mountainside, and these guys here have had to put up with me ever since. Particularly David. :P

I like your comment "1/72 when no one makes particular aircraft in 1/144". Nowadays, the options in 1/144 would make this action pretty infrequent. This is in part due to a growing number of companies investing in 1/144 - particularly in Eastern Europe - and the diversity in resin kits and 3D-printed creations. Yes, there are still gaps but I'm sure you will be presently surprised by what IS available.

And there's no way you'll spam the forum ... ;)
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

Historylover
Flight #5
Flight #5
United States of America

Post by Historylover »

David, thank you sir! I agree, just nothing else quite like the F-4 on the market. She'd never really win any beauty contests but man oh man did she do work. Personally, I feel the Israeli's got the name right when they went with 'Kurnass' meaning Sledgehammer in Hebrew, they understood her craft and what she was about from Day 1. :lol:

Smeg, thanks for sharing! I have truly been amazed at the amount of new releases or even reissues with Cartograf decals (Looking at you Minicraft) in 1/144. Or companies like Trumpeter or Eduard taking their excellent 1/72 molds and rescaling them. My wishlist on Scalemates since starting up in February is already at 92 for just 1/144 alone and my stash at 35. :D Small numbers I'm sure to some but still, what better way to do a hobby than immediately acquire a back log? :twisted:

You're definitely not wrong, it was funny though, literally yesterday before being able to hop on here, my wife and I went to a local Peddler's Mall. (Think indoor car boot sale, but basically folks rent booth space from the owner of the building, write their booth number on the sticker with the price so they don't have to man their booths during all hours. The owners of the building take care ringing people up, security, loss prevention, etc. If all of that was understood already mea culpa :) )

We go for good deals on used books for our home library for us or the kiddos. Ran into a booth where a gent had scale models, all in shrink or factory sealed, good prices. Sadly no 1/144, but 1/72, 48, and 32 aircraft and 1/35 armor. Presented quite a conundrum, as the prices were very good ($5-10 for 1/72). Himmed and hawed and decided on a compromise, I looked up on scalemates what aircraft were not in 1/144 and got those. Left behind an Airfix CBI Hurri, Walrus, Defiant, and I forget already but a German WWI bomber (Those were $5/pop). Won't lie, part of me is still himming and hawing about leaving those others on the table.

Still got these two Luft '46 beasties for $10 each, plenty pleased as they aren't in 1/144 that I can tell. :D Also got a 1/18 car display case for all of $2. It'll easily fit 4-6 1/144 fighters in it. :)
Attachments
20200607_092850_2.jpg
On the Bench:
Scouts Out base

strobez
Flight #3
Flight #3
Korea South

Post by strobez »

Welcome to the site. A lot of us are newcomers, so you’ll fit right in.

That’s funny that you mention that Academy F-4 Kit (I know exactly which one you mean). That’s the kit that got me into modelling. I never really did much model building as a kid. Too many comic books to buy instead, but I built the odd car here and there. A few years ago though, I bought a couple of those Academy kits (the F-4, and F-15) for my young son as a way to work on his manual dexterity. Of course, I started “helping” him... and I soon realized I was having much more fun than he was. So, I decided to start working on my own kits.

Strangely enough, I dismissed the 1/144 kits and decided to work on a more man-sized kit... the Academy F-8E - which I made a total hash of, of course.

In another strange coincidence, I started to migrate to 1/144 for the opposite reason... I couldn’t find all the kits I wanted in 1/72. Of course, I’m mainly talking about airliners. At first I sort of resigned myself to the idea that if I wanted a consistency amongst my build projects, 1/144 was the only scale I could accomplish that in. However, I soon realized that I hadn’t really given 1/144 scale kits the respect their due. Check out the Platz F-4... for example.

Anyway, from their on in... I’ve been pretty solidly building 1/144 projects... mostly centred around those comic books I mentioned. Area 88 and Tintin being he main ones. You can check out my blog (http://strobez.ca) If you’re interested.

Thanks for sharing! What’s your handle on Scalemates? I post their regularly too.
Thanks, Greg

Feel free to check out my blog - https://strobez.ca/wp/

Historylover
Flight #5
Flight #5
United States of America

Post by Historylover »

Hey Greg!

It's Jonathan Sparta from Scalemates! We're mates and all! XD My Platz double kits finally came in from Australia!

I found an old Italeri 1/72 T-34 kit in the garage a few weeks back so my 5 year old son and I have been working on that. He's super interested at this stage, so I'm trying to help it along. I'm a little paranoid about the glue at his age so we work in short spurts (Ceiling fan on and plenty of ventilation). I'll cut the piece, clean it, apply the glue, tell him where it goes so he can put it together. He'll be painting it and applying the decals however he likes, I think green and blue were floated, but the paint scheme will change probably until the paint is actually on it. :lol:
Last edited by Historylover on Mon Jun 08, 2020 0:17, edited 1 time in total.
On the Bench:
Scouts Out base

144flynavy
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by 144flynavy »

Historylover,
Welcome aboard.
I have been watching this scale GROW since the mid-1980's. The selection and quality IMHO will hold its own against the latest 1/72 and 1/48 scale offerings.

Aftermarket companies (decals and weapon accessories) have been great for this scale too.

I can highly recommend these "state-of-the-art" tactical jets offered by Revell-Germany:

RVG04282 Eurofighter Typhoon
RVG03992 F-16C Viper
RVG03997 F/A-18E Super Hornet
RVG03887 Harrier GR.7

All these kits come with a good selection of weapons and the appropriate fuel tanks.

Spure Brothers based in the US have these in stock and are priced less than $10.00 per kit + shipping and sales tax.
I am not affiliated with Sprue Brothers, They are an outstanding company in all aspects.
Good luck

Historylover
Flight #5
Flight #5
United States of America

Post by Historylover »

Really appreciate it flynavy! There's some great kits there, onto the wishlist! :D
On the Bench:
Scouts Out base

Return to “Welcome New Members”