Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Hello From USA - New Member

New Joiners, plus new forum features, functions and questions!
Alan144
Rookie
Rookie
1/144 Interest: No
United States of America

Hello From USA - New Member

Post by Alan144 »

Hello everyone from the US. Wishing everyone is staying safe and enjoying this time with our modeling. I started obtaining some 1/144 aircraft kits a few years ago in hopes of building them. Never got around to it until now! I have a few of the TomyTec painted kits and would like to remove the factory paint. Has anyone done this? If so what did you use to remove the paint?

Also I am looking for one of the F-Toys S3 Viking but have been unsuccessful in doing so. Any help would be great!

Thank you

Regards - Alan

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Hello From USA - New Member

Post by pbhawkin »

Hi and welcome,
look forward to seeing your builds.
I must ask however, why remove the factory paint? Why not just paint straight over the top? I repaint a lot of Gasapon models (F-toys, cafereo etc) and have had no issues with the paint peeling. I use any/all the common paint brands (most of which are Acrylics).
Regards
Peter

Alan144
Rookie
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Alan144 »

Good question! I have not used an airbrush for over 25 years plus I am concerned about covering up some of the nice detail on them.
Alan

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Firstly, a very warm welcome to our 1/144 community, Alan! I've been on this form since Day 1 (OK, BD99, Day 2!) and the recent influx of active members is definitely the largest I can remember.

I agree with Peter. Since being weened into 1/144 via a chance purchase of gashapon back in 2006, I've often refinished various releases, more often than not F-Toys. When I first tried a repaint, I too attempted to remove the existing prefinish but quickly discovered that the coatings on some kits are far more difficult to remove than others. Eventually on one model (can't recall which one now), I simply lightly sanded the pad-applied insignia then gave the whole kit and kaboodle a coat of Tamiya Grey Primer. As long as you don't get carried away, you obliterate almost nothing in terms of panel lines, etc.

True, I do airbrush almost all my finishes (and I, too, had a protracted hiatus between using a Paasche airbrush back in the early '80s to spraying my first 1/144 in 2007), but I've never found any issues. Indeed, on the odd gashapon where someone got a bit carried away with the width and depth of the panel lines, I found two or three coats of primer, sanded between coats, reduced what were clearly vastly out-of-scale details. ;)
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

BigReg
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Welcome aboard Alan. Nice to see our Aussies up early. I mostly agree with Greg ( It pays to around here) in that in most cases a gentle buff works. However, you will see in my thread 'What the Dickens?' In the current Group build that one of the Spitfires has been stripped. It is the Bandai model and the base paint, brown, was everywhere. I immersed the model in iso propyl alcohol for 12 hours and the paint just brushed off. Not all paints will work this way but the alcohol doesn't harm the plastic.
David from Devon

Historylover
Flight #5
Flight #5
United States of America

Post by Historylover »

WELCOME! :mrgreen:
On the Bench:
Academy/Minicraft He-111 H6 of KG26
Scouts Out base