Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

F-Toys WKC Vs 14

What's in the box and is it any good?
Sergei
Flight #6
Flight #6
1/144 Interest: Yes
Scotland

F-Toys WKC Vs 14

Post by Sergei »

My latest consignment from RadJapan touched down this morning comprising two P-61s and one Ki-45 Toryu.

Dealing with the latter first F-Toys has released the Ki-45 previously. It appeared in November 2006 in Work Shop Vol.9 "Twin Aircraft Collection 2" and in that version came largely pre-assembled. This seems to be a new tooling judging by the main undercarriage legs and definitely comes as a kit. The level of detail is what we have come to expect from F-Toys and the finish on mine is simply superb.

With regard to the P-61 I missed out on the CafeReo Big Bird release, coming late to the gashapon party. To date I have had to make do with the Model Power 1:120 diecast release which is a nice model but isn't 1:144. AirForce 1 released a 1:144 diecast effort which to my eyes is as rough as guts so the F-Toys release has been very welcome.

The new F-Toys P-61s come with the cockpit interiors moulded in light grey which surprised me as one of the standout characteristics of P-61 models is the zinc chromate yellow/green of the cockpit, which stands out particularly against the black fuselage. Not having seen the 1:1 I assume it is accurate in period terms as it seems to be the standard for aircraft restorations. Otherwise the F-Toys P-61 is nicely moulded - for me a good indicator is always if there are instrument panel dials, which there are here.

I usually add a bit of detail to my F-Toys models even if it is an approximation of harnesses from Tamiya Tape, the level of detail depending on how much is visible through the cockpit glazing. These will be no exception. On the subject of cockpit glazings compared to previous offerings these seem to be quite thin, which is a bonus.

All in all I am a happy bunny and am looking forward to a contented few hours putting these together. I can see the secondary market prices for the P-61 shooting up in months to come. Buy now to avoid disappointment!

Excellent. What's next from F-Toys?

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: F-Toys WKC Vs 14

Post by smeg1959 »

Interesting about the interior colour. CafeReo definitely got that right, with the zinc chromate standing out big time against the overall black finish of most of the P-61 releases. Mind you, there are photos with the yellow of the chromate clearly evident, like this one, whilst I've also seen numerous ones with the colour US Interior Green, like this one. Both photos here are of restored aircraft, so a bit of a toss up on which is more accurate.

But grey? Based on everything I've read from experts like Dana Bell, I don't think so. :?
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

Sergei
Flight #6
Flight #6
Scotland

Post by Sergei »

I had a happy afternoon yesterday putting the Ki-45 together and this gave me the opportunity to compare it to the much earlier release. It is clear that they are not identical toolings and there is a sufficient number of differences between the two that indicate the newer release resulted from F-Toys going back to the drawing board - or at least these days the CAD screen.

The fuselage on the latest release has a separate nose cone, maybe indicating that future releases of variants are a possibility. I do not know enough about the type to be able to say for sure. The propellers and spinners are separate components on the new one and are an improvement whilst the undercarriage doors are four pieces on the new compared to two on the older one. There are surface detail differences on the wings and stabs. Overall the newer model is much more refined. I think this is a positive development because the finished model looks like the result of a good quality kit, whilst the older one, whilst perfectly acceptable as a model, nevertheless has that gashapon "look".

This does raise the question of whether it is F-Toys' policy to re-tool, which has potential implications for the re-release of the earlier subjects that we would like to see. Interesting.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Thanks Sergei for the rundown on the Ki-45. I'm really looking forward to mine when it arrives.
I suspect FT will mostly revisit their Japanese aircraft as time goes by and perhaps the ones from other nations, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. Things like their Ki-43 are ripe for replacement. Although I'd love to see some of their interwar types get covered too.

Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144
United States of America

Post by Warbird Kid »

I ordered two P-61s and two Ki-45s and built one of each. Both really fun and very easy to assemble. I think the F-toys P-61 is more superior to the Cafe Reo example.

Here is "2-B" "Bat Outta Hell!" sitting on my Haleiwa base.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Meatloaf would be impressed. :P
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB16 - War of the Worlds Diorama (Pegasus)

Sergei
Flight #6
Flight #6
Scotland

Post by Sergei »

I put together the second of my two P-61s this afternoon - the OD version. What a lovely model, this is F-Toys at their best! I was going to have a go at serious weathering as a lot of contemporary photos show them as extremely war-weary but I am going to leave this as factory fresh.

I think I may trouble Akira for another one so that I can have a bit of fun with it.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

The P-61 was never an aircraft that I cared for, but I did get the Toryu which arrived the other day. Its so nice just as it is that I can't bring myself to mess with it. I'll have to hit Akira up for another one as well :)

Return to “1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section”