Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Oz Mods 1/144 Canberra

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Oz Mods 1/144 Canberra

Post by MerlinJones »

I thought I'd share my experience of Oz Mods.

Oz Mods 1/144 Martin B-57 Canberra

For starters, this retails at £20.54 from Hannants. (Fortunately, I didn't pay for mine). Given the cost and quality of Sweet, Platz and even the resin Czech models coming out nowadays, Oz Mods seem to be havin' a laaaf! However, the kits have had to travel from Down Under and I'll accept that a small, garage company will need some financial support in order to get off the ground.

These kits come in a poly bag, with a small and basic decal sheet and a very, very basic exploded diagram-style instruction sheet. Note that you have to best-guess placement of parts.

These are short-ish run kits, made of extremely brittle plastic. That said, being very hard plastic, you do get some very nice, fine engraved detail;

Note in particular, the size of the sprue gates! Note also that, with this particular kit, you get a resin cockpit, with two nice seats and a pair of control columns. There are also a pair of vacform canopies.

I've learned lessons with Oz Mods and one is that you use a razor saw to carefully cut the parts away from the...er...sprue. Lesson Two was not to cut too close to the part you are trying to rescue...if something snaps, it'll take a chunk of your kit with it.
Third lesson was to clean up the mating surfaces only;

Last edited by MerlinJones on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Oz Mods 1/144 Martin B-57B Canberra

Post by MerlinJones »

The next image shows the nice cockpit, having received its first coat of Revell 9 Anthracite, alongside my tentative sawings. That spot near the engine was particularly tricky!

Again, only mating surfaces were cleaned up. Because of the tendency of the plastic to fracture, especially where it is somewhat thin, I've learned that it is much safer to clean up after thin parts are joined together.
The next picture shows two parts cleaned up on the inside and a completed wing. It's not pretty, is it?

Whilst awaiting glue to fully cure, I dry-fitted the cockpit into the fuselage. It was at least 2mm too wide, so I've had to do some filing;

Fortunately, I was given two control columns!

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Here are the wings now cleaned up, or at least one is...an After and Before picture, just to be awkward. Note the chunk missing from the starboard leading edge, just outward of the engine. Don't panic!
Note also the short shot inner flap.
Quality stuff, this is.

I've since added the front and rear engine pieces. The white stuff is superglue gel, hardened with accelerator and currently filling holes;

I've also made up the tanks...I think they need some cleaning up.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Here's that wing again, with the hardened glue all polished off...though there's now a fine gap appeared;

The wings have large tabs, which is nice. Unfortunately, you have to cut out your own slots.

Carefully.

Liquid Gravity in action;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Fuselage before cleanup;

And after;

Note the large crack under the cockpit! This was probably caused by the superglue around the Liquid Gravity setting.

I'll have to 'refresh' some of those panel lines.
More 'fun' with the plastic;

Eventually, I got there, with plenty of superglue gel and accelerator and subsequent sandings;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

The first vacform canopy I attempted to cut out cracked.
Fortunately, there was a second;

Slapping the SEA paint on, H118, then H117 and finally H116;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Oz Mods 1/144 Martin B-57B Canberra, 13th TBS, 35th TWF, USAF, 1971

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Oz Mods 1/144 EE Canberra B2

Preview
OzMods had gained quite a reputation amongst the 1/144 brigade, for their allegedly well-executed kits of previously ignored (at this scale at least), subjects. Other offers have been the North American Sabre and MiG-15UTI.

The Canberra came in a polythene bag with cardboard header, comprising of 35 parts in dark grey injection moulded styrene; plus two parts in clear vac form plastic. These represent the canopy and nose glazing and are replicated, so that you can afford to make a complete pigs ear of one set. The fuselage is moulded with a solid nosecone, but you can choose to replace this with a more accurate clear part.
This wasn’t a cheap kit, costing me £15 at SMW, but I’d heard so many good things, I had to have one.

First impressions, however, were not particularly impressive. The styrene reminded me more of old bakelite than the usual model plastic and there was a lot of thin flash on most of the pieces. There was also a thin coating of grease on the plastic and the instruction sheet recommends that you “thoroughly wash parts in warm water and detergent prior to assembly and painting.” I know that at 1/144 it is difficult to have too much detail, but the instrument panel seemed clumsy, especially when compared to the latest Revell offerings. (OzMods have more recently released a Martin B-57 version of the Canberra and I notice that the cockpit supplied with that kit is resin). The control column was broken, (not surprising, given the brittle nature of the plastic), and this is also resin in the later B-57 kit.

The header has an exploded view of the plane on one side, with parts numbered and only vague locations for them given. This is okay, assuming you know your subject, (more of which later!), and the header does state that the kit is “not suitable for children.”

On the reverse of the sheet are the decal placement instructions for the three examples offered;
GAF B. Mk. 20 of 3 Squadron, RAAF, late 1950’s.
B.2 of 45 Bomber Squadron, RAF, Singapore, early 1960’s.
Martin RB-57A, of 363 TRG, USAF, mid-1950’s.
Colour call-outs are also vague, the RAF version being listed as “Grey/green upper surfaces, medium blue/grey under surfaces.”

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Parts breakdown is nothing unusual. The wings are supplied in upper and lower halves. Ailerons and flaps are moulded with the upper wing halves to keep the trailing edges as thin as possible. However, some further thinning of the trailing edges will be necessary to establish a convincing scale appearance. Both wings and horizontal tail is to be secured with locating tabs. Fuselage halves, I noticed, had no pins or locating tabs, though the panel lines at least seemed to match up nicely.
The cockpit is fitted out with the instrument panel, nicely engraved pilot's seat, stick and floor. The Navigator's position is not present…understandable given that it would be invisible at this scale. The undercarriage can be raised or lowered. Wingtip tanks are provided.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

The Build-Up
The instruction sheet recommends that you “thoroughly wash parts in warm water and detergent prior to assembly and painting.” I did this and then decided that, given the greasy feel of the kit, I better wash that as well. When everything was nice and dry, it was time to begin...

I started with the cockpit assembly, (as you do), gluing the seat and instrument panel to the cockpit floor. These then got a coat of black, and then a coat of dark grey was dry-brushed over the top when this had dried. Tiny blobs of Clear-Fix were dropped into the instrument dials. I managed to resist scanning the web for pics of the Canberra cockpit!
I then added the ubiquitous Aeroclub 1/144 pilot, mutilating his legs accordingly to accommodate the control column. The original column had broken, so I created a replacement from some stretched sprue. I'd also taken some care painting the pilot, as the canopy is very thin and very clear and there's a lot of it and it will be easy to see the planes interior. Whilst this was drying, I painted the fuselage interior a dark grey.

I next wanted to assemble the wings and to prepare the tail planes. Now I have mentioned that the plastic is very brittle. The instruction sheet suggests that you “carefully score and snap with sharp knife or cut with fine modelling saw.” So I did this and was then horrified to see large gurt ‘oles appear in my pieces as I separated them from the sprue. Aaah well…I’m no stranger to filling and sanding, being, as I am, a fan of Airfix!

Following a session of dry-fitting, I quickly sussed out three things;
All pieces had a lot of flash to remove.
The upper and lower wing halves wouldn’t fit together without some extensive trimming and sanding.
The locating tabs for both wings and tail planes were far too big for their corresponding slots in the fuselage.
The butt edges of the assembled wings were flat, whereas the fuselage was a curved surface.

FOUR things! I quickly sussed out FOUR things!

Return to “Merlin's Man Cave”