Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Oz Mods 1/144 Canberra

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: Oz Mods 1/144 Canberras

Post by MerlinJones »

Considering how brittle the plastic was, I had to take great care in removing the flash.. The wings were then carefully sanded and dry-fitted, sanded and dry-fitted, sanded and dry-fitted until they…er…fitted. The slots in the fuselage were carefully enlarged, again with lots of dry-fitting.

3-view diagrams were then consulted for the correct angles for the tail planes and wings and these were then glued to their respective fuselage halves. There was one heck of a gap between the wing and fuselage joint, but this was fixed with a combination of superglue gel and then a layer of liquid paper. (Did you know that you can now get “Tippex” in a pen? This made applying it so much easier and more precise than a mere brush!) Once this had cured, only a little light sanding was required. Given the delicacy of the fine panel lines, this was important.

I then had the problem of working out exactly where in the fuselage the cockpit floor should be fixed. The instruction sheet didn’t help and whilst the position of the instrument panel attached helped a little, some guesswork was required. However, the nose wheel bay also needed gluing into place, and once this was home, it gave the cockpit floor something to rest on and all became clear.

So, I now had two fuselage halves, each complete with wing and tail plane, with the cockpit and nose gear bay attached to one half. The fuselage halves did not have any locating pins, so I used some curved plastic card to reinforce the joint-to-be. Strips of tape were then readied and superglue gel applied to one half. The halves were then carefully lined up, using the panel lines as markers, and then held together with the tape. Time for a stiff drink and a lie-down!!

The following day, the tape was removed and again, only a little light sanding was necessary around the seams. Very little glue squidge had occurred, thankfully, (‘cos superglue is as hard as diamond when set and too much of it would’ve been a beggar to remove).

Starting to get excited now! There’s a Canberra in me mitts!

Okay…my planes are always gear-up. In this area, the main gear doors fitted nicely, once I’d removed their locating pins. The nose gear was a little trickier, requiring some sanding, but was soon in place.
The engine exhausts are two slightly oval pieces, but these fitted nicely and, by gradually turning them, I got them flush with their engines.
This next bit is where you need to know your subject! I didn’t!
The engine intake pieces have a bullet shaped fairing in the centre, with three equidistant spars radiating from it. I rotated my intakes so that the spars formed an upside-down “Y”. THIS WAS AN ERROR! They should form a “Y”.

Doh!

Anyway…moving swiftly on…
Last edited by MerlinJones on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:49, edited 3 times in total.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Oz Mods 1/144 Canberra

Post by MerlinJones »

Vac-formed canopies! I heard so much about them, I was a little cautious about the next step. Because a thin, very clear PVC is used for the canopy, it’s very thin and very clear! It can also be made to be 100% accurate in profile. For those of you not familiar with vac form, I suggest you check out the relevant Help at Hyperscale.
I prepared my piece, safe in the knowledge that I had a spare to work with if things went ‘orribly wrong. Basically, I had to cut the canopy away from the sheet it was pressed in. Normally, you can do this with a straight cut of a razor saw, but this canopy had complex curves to it. I had to cut it away with my sharpest scissors, as close as I dared to the canopy frame. Bear in mind that the whole piece is extremely transparent, I went bog-eyed trying to avoid cutting into the frame. With hindsight, I could’ve dusted the piece with graphite powder, or painted it with liquid mask. Next time! Eventually, I got the piece free and then spent a happy half hour sanding away the excess PVC. I didn’t scratch my piece, but it might be worth considering masking yours, in order to protect it from inadvertent scratching. The finished canopy was beautifully formed and about the size of my next-to-smallest finger nail. I then coated it, inside and out, with Johnson’s “Klear” and left it to dry.

It was sooooo transparent, I went and lost it for three days. Doh! :oops:

I’d decided to use the glazed nosepiece, so I cut off the Canberra’s solid nose with my trusty razor saw and tidied up the resulting hole. I toyed (briefly) with the idea of scratching a bomb-aimers station, but decided against it.
I then cut off the clear nosepiece from the vac form sheet. This was much easier to cut and just needed a few deft strokes. The little transparent cone was then gently sanded to size, repeatedly testing it against the nose until I got a perfect match. This was also coated with “Klear”, but this time, it was placed on a dark piece of card. When dry, this and the newly discovered canopy were then Klear-Fix’d into place. I was glad I’d taken the time over the pilot and cockpit.

The wingtip tanks were built, sanded and attached to the wingtips, (just to be different! ) and a thin coat of primer applied. No further sanding or filling was required.

The B-57 version comes with a nicely-rendered resin cockpit insert;
Liquid Gravity for the essential noseweight;

Curse that effin' plastic;
Last edited by MerlinJones on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Next, the painting…

After only a brief bit of research at http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/ I decided to paint the Canberra the same colours as my Vampire; Humbrol 163 Dark Green and 164 Dark Sea Grey, with 157 Azure Blue undersides, mixed with a smidgin of 27 Matt Sea Grey. These colours were applied in thinner coats than usual for me, taking care to reduce streaking, (the weather’s too cold at this time of year! ), and keeping those panel lines visible.
Humbrol 56 Aluminium was used for the exhausts and Humbrol 33 Matt Black for the insides of exhausts and intakes. Careful masking helped me re-create the little windows on the upper fuselage for the Navigator and the window on the port side for the door (?)
A coat of “Klear” was then applied and left to cure.

WORD OF WARNING! The decals are not separated on the sheet. The whole sheet is one, big decal!
Just thought I’d tell you that!

That said, they are in perfect register and colour and you don’t have to faff around trying to place little red blobs into the centre of bigger white ones. The decals were applied and, thanks to the “Klear” coat, no silvering. Another coat of “Klear” was applied to seal ‘em in.
At this point, the Canberra was far too glossy, but I had yet to apply the thin washes of dark green on the green bits, dark grey on the grey bits, and dark blue on the blue bits, using my watercolour pencils. This brought the panel lines out nicely.

After a couple of days, the whole ship was sealed with a satin varnish and looks the business.

The B-57 version has a more complex paint job...

Last edited by MerlinJones on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Oz Mods 1/144 Martin B-57B Canberra

Post by MerlinJones »

Conclusion
This was another of those Not Suitable For Children kits, (which is probably why I had so much trouble! )
However, fawning over OzMods aside, the end result is very pleasing to the eye and actually stands out amongst my other 1/144 kits. In pre-Revell Germany days, this would’ve been the epitome of its genre and, given its price, it turned out to be a beggar to build. Fit could be better, the plastic was brittle and internal detail was varied.
The shape was spot on and the panel lines were very well done…just enough to catch a subtle wash without being too heavy. Decals were also beautiful and the vac form canopy and nose were well worth the extra effort.
If you want a 1/144 Canberra, this is the only one in town.
If you have more money than sense, like a challenge, with the potential of a nice result at the end, I'll recommend it.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Oz Mods 1/144 English Electric Canberra B2, RAF Tengah, Singapore 1962

Oz Mods 1/144 Canberra B20, 2 Squadron, RAAF, 1971

Oz Mods 1/144BAC Canberra B(I) Mk.8, 16 Squadron, RAF Laabruch, Germany, 1972

Last edited by MerlinJones on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Summary

When Oz Mods first started producing 1/144 Canberras a few years back, there was great rejoicing amongst those who enjoyed 1/144. Any issues with the kit were largely ignored, as it was emphasised that they were the product of a few hard working Aussie blokes, working from some billabong...or whatever.
They certainly aren't cheap to buy and, to be honest, are quite tricky to build. Not because the fit is poor, or the parts are malformed, but because the plastic is extremely brittle and tends to fracture following whatever fault line has been produced by the mysterious whorls of plastic. (I think they boil up old radios and scraps of bakelite, washed up on the beach, to make their materials). A further complication is the huge size of the attachment points.
Once built and painted, the decals look nice, but need to be seperated individually from their sheet and tend to be on the translucent side.
The vacform glassware is okay though.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Oz Mods 1/144 Martin B-57 Canberra

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Last night I did some more work on the Ozmods T-33. Nightmarish plastic, agreed, but much like the Canberra a satisfying end result for the effort required...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

As with the myriad of builds housed in Merlin's Man Cave, I keep coming back and finding info that I just know is going to come in handy at some stage. Case in point, this thread. As I've already preempted, I'm doing a RAAF Canberra for the Vietnam War Group Build later this year and the starting point is an OzMods B2/B20. Needless to say Merlin, some of the tactics you've developed to deal with the original OzMods' plastic (which is indeed like bakelite in its appearance and feel) will be employed when that time comes. Now where's that damned razor-saw? :?
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Merlin's Man Cave”