Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Revell 1/144 Northrop F-5E Tiger II

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Revell 1/144 Northrop F-5E Tiger II

Post by MerlinJones »

Welcome back, old friend!
Like many of us, I had to put aside my modelling hobby for a time, whilst I sought fame and fortune in the World of Grown-Ups. When next I picked up my glue, knife and sandpapers, to say that the World of Modelling had changed somewhat would be a gross understatement. For myself, whilst I did have the monies, I was strapped for space and so, on wandering into a model shop, I picked up a Revell 1/144 F-5E Tiger II. This little kit was a joy and revelation and so far removed from the old Revell Minikits of old. I became hooked on the scale of twelve squared and have since enjoyed all of the high quality 1/144s from Revell.

This particular kit was first released in 1994, with options for a USMC Aggressor aircraft and a Swiss Air Force machine. It was re-issued in 1997, with options for the Patrouille Suisse and remained much sought after since, sometimes going for silly money on a certain on-line auction site. So it was with much rejoicing when this kit was re-issued again this year and I was more than happy to reacquaint myself with it’s exquisitely small proportions and superb detail, including finely engraved panel lines and rear engine louvers.

On opening the box, I was confronted by the new style of Revell instruction booklet and, whilst easy to look at, to my jaundiced eye, it seemed to be a little over-simplified, particularly with regards painting instructions. The plastic itself looked good enough, although some of the finesse of detail seems to have been lost a little, over the years and there was a little flash and some minor seam lines to clean up.

Work began, as is the norm, with the cockpit, which is enclosed and contains a fair representation of the ejection seat, a miniscule control column and an instrument panel. At this point, I remembered that my previous models had decals for this, but there was no mention of such an item in the instructions. I need not have worried, as it was there, on the decal sheet, in all of its 21st Century glory. That said, I’m sure many will miss this item until they’re ready for the final decalling of the model.

It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/144 Northrop F-5E Tiger II

Post by MerlinJones »

Another omission was the need for nose weight. Fortunately, I’m wise to the issue of tail-sitting and ensured the nose was filled with that wonderful product, Liquid Gravity, from Deluxe materials.

The rest of the build continued without a hitch. (I removed the blade aerials and omitted the nose pitot, as these were overscale). The overall fit of parts was not quite as perfect as I’d remembered them to be, but nothing that the most basic of skills couldn’t address and I soon had a tiny Tiger on the bench, awaiting paint.

Obviously, only Revell paints are mentioned and, given the relatively limited range of such, the colours suggested did not seem quite right to me, so I resorted to my Humbrol collection and the Mk.I eyeball, opting for a combination of H148 and H186.
(Note that the Revell colours required are listed on the back of the box, so keep the box to hand and don’t be too keen to throw it away).
The camouflage has a soft edge to it and I attempted to replicate this, using a careful stippling motion with my paintbrush. From a distance of some 12 feet, I think I got a reasonable result and promise to practice more for the next time.
I applied a gloss coat and then the decals, which were beautifully printed and behaved themselves accordingly. A final matt cote sealed the deal.

One irritation I did have with the decal sheet was the absence of bands for the supplied ordnance. I suppose this was a deliberate attempt to keep costs down, in these austere times, but I recall the splendid sheet supplied with the Revell 1/144 Tomcats and feel such an inclusion would have lifted this kit up a little more.

I added finer details, such as the nose pitot and protruding guns, with stretched sprue and the blade aerials were made from bits of very fine plasticard.
Job done.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

64th/65th Aggressor Squadron, USAF, Nellis AFB, Nevada, 1985

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

nice looking model! The choice of colors look excellent. I have never been any good at camo painting, so can offer no critique of your softened edges.

I have been seeing that kit recently, offered at quite a nice price from various retailers. Their F-104G Starfighter is also a superb kit, equal or better than the Platz offering for a similar price.
It is irksome that Revell choose to sell those awful old MINI kits beside their high quality modern kits at similar prices with no indication that there is any difference.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Close-up photography is a harsh Mistress...trust me when I say it looks a lot better at a distance! :D

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Excellent work, Merlin. I like the contrast in the camo - there's something about a dark reddish brown over sand that I find strangely appealing. My only problem with the F-5 is that it takes me back to my first ever model purchased at age six, the Airfix Freedom Fighter. The less said about that build the better ... :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Return to “Merlin's Man Cave”