Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Tiny Tonkas - The Panavia Tornado In 1/144

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Tiny Tonkas - The Panavia Tornado In 1/144

Post by MerlinJones »

I was first introduced to the 1/144 Panavia Tornado, through Revell's new tooling, being attracted to the Tigermeet decals. On following this build up, I discovered older Revell Tigermeet Tonkas and, in the process, learned of the older, non-Revell tooling. This, I learned, originated from the East, by way of LS/Arii/Academy.
Later, I learned of the Dragon tooling and, in the process, learned that Academy, Arii and LS are all the same, alongside older Revell kits.
I learned that the Dragon toolings appear in DML and Dragon boxings, as well as Italeri.
The Dragon F3 can also appear in a Revell box and the Matchbox tiny Tonka is another Academy kit.
Of them all, only the new tooled Revell kits can be called as very good, although the Dragon kits do come with very nice decal schemes, as well as lots of useful ordnance.

Having acquired a collection of different small Tonka kits, having a penchant for Tigermeet schemes and an Xtradecal sheet for the 1/144 Tornado, I thought it'd be fun to build a few. After all, they ain't big, but they maybe clever.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Tiny Tonkas - The Panavia Tornado In 1/144

Post by MerlinJones »

This is the first of my Revell 1/144 Tornado Tigers...the 1994 Cambrai ‘Tigermeet’ scheme, as flown by No1 Squadron, Fighter-Bomber Wing 32.
NOTE: This is the new tooling.

On opening, this appears to be a nice little kit and comes complete with a cockpit tub and reasonable seats.
The parts arrangement is organised to facilitate the F3 version, so I have a seperate nose. Detail is finely engraved lines and, whilst the fins on the ordnance might be considered a tad too thick, a few strokes with a sanding stick should suffice to bring them down to scale.

With this being an ECM version, there's a smaller sprue, holding what appears to be a nice pair of HARM's and an underfuselage pod.

The decals are in perfect register and look very nice.

Now...gear up and in-flight, or gear down and static?

Obligatory Sprue Shot;

Decals, in perfect register;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

This kit is definitely more refined than its predecessor. For example, you get a fully equipped cockpit and the intakes are a huge improvement. Here's a comparison shot of both versions, the new tooling is on the left;

Build-wise, I've now started painting up the cockpits. Although assembled, this is not as difficult as you might assume. I start from the middle, (with the seat covers) and work outwards.

Having painted the cockpit, I acquired an even later version of the Revell 1/144 Tonka, which supplies some rather lovely instrument panel decals. Using this as a guide, I dotted some colour onto the grey panels, using a thin piece of sprue as a paint 'dotter'.
Not as crisp as the decals, (seen here on the right), but 'good enough;

The cockpit in the middle is the old Academy tooling, embellished with a pair of Aeroclub crew, but more of that later.

You'll notice the aquarium lead stuffed in and the Tamiya masking tape harnesses. A bit fiddley, but the look is okay under the canopy.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

The rest of the build progressed smoothly, with only minor gappage where the front fuselage meets the rear;

Left to right, we have Revell's latest GR4 tooling, an Academy tooling and then the reasonably-new Revell, being the subject of this particular build.

There were some gaps, at the forward to rear fuselage join. However, these were easily filled with superglue and zapper.

Painting

I painted the front fuselage a couple of times over with matt white and then added Humbrol Chrome Yellow, leaving bits of white as per the instructions.
That was the easy part.

There then followed a tortuous search of what seemed like all known Tonka models on Thinternet, trying to find consistent descriptions of the colours required. Having done this, it was...er....fun, trying to match what I had with what I needed...without having to play the Revell Paint Mixing Game!

In the end, I chose H116, H86 and Revell Matt 9 Anthracite.
The paint guide wasn't the easiest to follow, as each colour is represented by either a shade of grey or by a block of diagonal lines.

Got there in the end, applying the lighter green H86 all over first, (having masked off the yellow and white), then adding the darker green H116 and, finally, the anthracite.

I've been busy at this, on and off...adding detail here and painting a bit there...touching up...repeat...

Then, yesterday, I realised that all the painting was done and I had no excuse not to decal...so I took a Before photo and have, this afternoon, taken an After.

The decals were really brilliant and well thought out...no complex curves for them to have to bend around or nuffink. Painting my own tiddly tigger stripes wasn't that hard and, post-decalling, a coat of Mattcote finished it.

Painting done;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Revell 1/144 Panavia Tornado ECR, No1 Squadron, Fighter-Bomber Wing 32, Luftwaffe, ...the 1994 Cambrai ‘Tigermeet’ scheme.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

This is another little 1/144 gem from Revell and I don't care if it's not exactly the right shape, or whatever...
NOTE: This is the old tooling, originating from LS and then Arii.

This differs from my 'other' ECR Tonka, in that the fuselage just as an upper and lower part, with the nose included. This means less sanding will be necessary, as there'll be less joining to do!
This is a slightly older vintage than my other, being made in 1999.
Intakes don't seem as fine, for example.
With my example is a seperate, smaller sprue marked 4812 Tornado ECR and containing what appears to be a pair of HARM's, a pair of long pylons and what appears to be a refuelling basket and pipe! These don't appear anywhere in the instruction sheet.

The decal sheet for this baby is somewhat huge, compared with the other. Again, the Tigermeet markings are all in perfect rgister, but this looks more of a job to do than the other version. Should look nice.

Again, the dilemma of gear up or down?

Or, if I do one in flight, which one will it be?

Sprue shot;

Note that this is the older, definitely cruder tooling.
Here is the extra sprue;

Besides the pair of HARM's, there's what appears to be a refuelling rig. Might come in later, but it's off to the Spares Box for now!

This kit, although by far the inferior to its successor tool-wise, has an outstanding decal sheet;

That said, it doesn't compare all that well to the later tooling...

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

This time, the subject of the build is the one on the right.
The cockpit in this model is non-existent, so I decided to do this one in flight. Obviously, in-flight requires crew, so Aeroclub metal 1/144 pilots were recruited.

The next pic shows this older 'cockpit between the more polished and detailed versions of the later tooling;

Having completed the pilots, the top half was added to the bottom, trapping the wings between. This version will have the wings in the fully swept configuration.

On later toolings, adding the detailed exhaust piece ensures the fuselage halves are held together. This is not the case with this version, as the exhaust nozzle are added as two seperate pieces. Their resemblance to the Real Thing is slight, as can be seen when compared to the later version , here on the left.

I was also aware of the lack of those pointy bits, on the side of the exhausts, so I made some out of thin plasticard, (NOTE the difference in the shape of the top of the fin, the large hole for aerials that do not exist on this version of Tonka and the weirdly-shaped aerial housing);

Whilst all that was curing, I turned my attention to the intakes. I used a file to thin down the edges and added a thin extension of plasticard to the upper lip, in a sad attempt at re-shaping. The modified intake is on the left;

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Undercarriage doors were added and these needed quite a bit of cutting, in order to fit. I still need to fill some large gaps, so I used stray bits of plasticard. I also filled in a load of unnecessary holes, using plastic rod of the right diameter.
Next, using a more modern version as a guide, I flattened off the top of the fin and squared off the aerial housing.

I've discovered a sure-fire way of spotting a...er....'vintage' 1/144, is the quality and finesse, (or lack of), of the supplied ordnance.
Below is a picture of the unmodified 'Hindenberg' fuel tank on the left, with a modified, (fin-wise) version in the middle and the modern version on the right.
You can also see a marked difference between old and new pylons...

Finally, difference-wise, compare and contrast the tailplanes;

...And don't get me started on the nose!

I'm hoping paint and decals will distract the eye...

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Painting

The painting instructions are lacking, to say the least. The only colour for the fuselage is an overall mix of 60% white and 40% Grey 57.
Looking at the box art and the photo supplied on the instruction sheet, I noticed that the undersides are a paler grey. After scouring Thinternet, I gave up and opted for H140 upper surfaces, with H127 underneath.

The more I look at the finished model, the more I'm tempted to ditch it and buy a new tooling and use the excellent decals on that one.

I confess that I'm really REALLY struggling to continue work on this one. With its more advanced tooled cousins next to it, the inaccuracies of shape etc. really stand out. Normally, I could live with it.
After all, it has to be a Tornado...it most certainly couldn't be anything else.

And then I look at my others...

I think the real clincher was when I placed the decal sheet next to it and realised that the decals are Tonka shaped...and my model isn't quite!

I think I might have to sneak out and buy a new one, just so's I'll have proper shapes on which to stick me decals.

By fixing this with wings fully swept, I might get away with it.

Having wasted loads of time trying to work out the colour scheme, I paid closer attention to the instruction sheet and got a clue as to where the white edging should go.
Of course, at the same instant, I realised that the undersurfaces are exactly the same colour as the...er....oversurfaces.

I went for H64 this time and masked off all of the other, fiddley bits in record time. (All that practice, see).

Now to decal...

Right at the start of this Thread, I said that I didn't care that it wasn't the right shape.
Later, I suggested that buying another new-tool and using the decals on that, as opposed to persevering with the original, might be a better idea.

I now wish I'd stuck with that thought.

Don't get me wrong...the decals are great.
It's just that they are specifically tailored for something that is Tornado-shaped and I've had to cut and slice and touch-up, in order to get them approximately in place.
In addition, the instruction sheet for these is sadly lacking, with decals missing from the instruction sheet. Fortunately, I've been able to work out what goes where, by comparing the decals with the pictures I have.

Mattcote and nav lights tomorrow.

Finished, with a piece of transparent rod up the jacksie!

The decals required a lot of trimming in places and I had great fun with the fuel tank decals, which were clearly designed for tanks resembling the real thing, as opposed to the ones supplied with the kit.

Photo references told me that the underwing ECM suite required stripes as well, so H67, (which is an exact match to the decal stripes), was carefully applied. Again, the resemblance of these items to the real thing isn't!

To summarise, I would not recommend this kit, other than as a source of some really rather good decals. Buy a new-tooled Tonka and apply the decals onto that.
You could spend hours trying to bring the old tool up to spec., but, to be honest, there's so much wrong with it, I'd argue that whateer work was put in would not be worth it. For example, I tried to re-shape the nose and ended up putting a hole in it. To properly re-shape the nose, you'd need to fill it first with some Milliput, or somesuch.
Tailplanes could be replaced with better ones, fashioned from plasticard, but the whole shape of the back end wold need serious attention.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Okay...so having finished the painting, it was decal-time. To begin with, I had to cut up the thin strips provided, so that I could apply the walkway lines;

Then it was on with the stripes;

Revell (ex-LS/Arii) 1/144 Panavia Tornado ECR, Jabo G32, Luftwaffe, Tigermeet, 1998

The decals went on okay...it's just that they were designed for a Tornado-shaped model, so some cutting and improvisation was required. This became especially apparent with the awful fuel tanks provided.

Return to “Merlin's Man Cave”