Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

EA-7L - VAQ-34 Flashbacks - Heroes Models

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
Fabiolone
JV 144
JV 144
Italy

Re: EA-7C - VAQ-34 Flashbacks

Post by Fabiolone »

Wow, thank you very much guys, it's very kind of you! I'm happy you like it!

Some other progress anyway.

The most difficult part of this model is to fit properly the windshield. Don't forget this is not a tamiya but a garage model kit. Resin clear parts need special attention. It's better don't use cyano in these parts to avoid fogging, so my choice was the epoxy glue. After gluing, the part needs some putty to catch the shape and fill the gap. I used black milliput, very nice because it will be invisible inside due to the black interior color. I smoothed it with water and a rubber brush. When dried I sprayed interior color on the windshield and checked the putty on it. Some other sanding was needed.
4c.png
Sure I don't touch the canopy anymore, I added all the little antennas and pitot tubes on the fuselage. The model is mono-color so I don't need further masking. I prefer to glue more pieces I can before starting painting. Glue stains are a pain to remove.
2c.png
3c.png
Some interior details on the wide canopy. They will be very visible because the canopy will be open. Interior masking was more than an hour deal, anyway seems good. The mirrors (6!) and the other bits were glued with epoxy. A black primer all over to finish.
1c.png
Other nice hours of work passed quickly on little details to add on wings stations and panels. The bullet-shaped part is a BL755 from markone modified to be used as an electronic jamming pod, one of the typical loadouts of this version.
5c.png

The last step was a gray primer all over. It needs some little fix but I'm quite happy with the results. Tomorrow my vacations are finished but the next weekend is all for coloring, the part I prefer. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
6c.png
Last edited by Fabiolone on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:45, edited 2 times in total.

Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Portugal

Re: EA-7C - VAQ-34 Flashbacks - Heroes Models

Post by Mig88 »

Lovely!! Looking really good :P !

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four

marcopreto
Flight #144
Flight #144
Portugal

Post by marcopreto »

UAU! :shock:

That is really something else!

Cheers

MattP
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
United States of America

Post by MattP »

BRILLIANT build! Really looking good, Can't wait to see it at completion!

Fabiolone
JV 144
JV 144
Italy

Re: EA-7L - VAQ-34 Flashbacks - Heroes Models

Post by Fabiolone »

My Twosair weekend started last night and I hope will continue till Sunday morning at least. The other days of this week were for studying and, obviously, they confirmed one of the holy rules of military modeling: the more you read the more you have to add/modify!

Some actuator covers were skipped in my previous investigation but now are in place.
10c.png
These electric corsairs were used to simulate enemy/missile signals during exercise so usually loaded some different jamming/ecm pods.
One of the common loadouts was the following:
vaqa7breakalaska.jpg
ean_powell__ea7l_gd200_pt-mugu.jpg
Two fuel tanks and two pods. The first pod (what's the name?) is already done. It's only missed the ALQ-167 Bullwinkle pod, also very nice for its bright blu color.
7c.png
If I'm right nobody produces them or maybe yes but I don't have it. So I tried to build it from scratch and finally is not so bad!
8c.png
The first gray layer (light gull gray) on the plane. It looks the same color as the primer!! :o :o

It's not true, it's a little bit warmer. :roll:
9c.png
Maybe I'll continue to color this evening but I have to contend with my third jar of the vaccine. Probably I'll fall in love with the couch... :| :|

144flynavy
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by 144flynavy »

Fabio,
Your build is looking great!
Nice scratch build on the ALQ-167 Bullwinkle pod.
A company from Japan (Landinggear) makes a pod set (ALQ-167 and ALQ-188):
http://landinggear.web.fc2.com/JammingPodSet.html

I believe the other pod you scratch built (on the left wing in the photo of your post) is the AN/AST-4(V) Radar Emissions Simulating Set:

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... -ast-4.htm

Another pod the EA-7L carried is the ALQ-170 (fuel tank size):

Looking forward to your build completion.

Fabiolone
JV 144
JV 144
Italy

Post by Fabiolone »

144flynavy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 14:41
I believe the other pod you scratch built (on the left wing in the photo of your post) is the AN/AST-4(V) Radar Emissions Simulating Set:
Finally, it has a name! This sideway photo confirms the part I modified is quite similar and does the job.
144flynavy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 14:41
Another pod the EA-7L carried is the ALQ-170 (fuel tank size):
This one didn't catch my interest but was often used. I think the Bullwinkle gets an interesting color touch considering a gray plane on a gray tarmac.

Thank you very much for your useful and very relevant answer!

Fabiolone
JV 144
JV 144
Italy

Post by Fabiolone »

Finally, I made 2 full hours of coloring, not without problems but I like how it looks.

Another little session is needed to balance some effects but I'm confident with the result. I'm too tired to finish it today. :( :(

I have in mind how it will turn and the crucial passage that pops the real finishing will be the oil washes and some other effect after the matt paint.

12c.png
11c.png

144flynavy
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Post by 144flynavy »

Fabio,
That looks very convincing to me.
Is it easy to do?
If so, can you give a step-by-step explanation on how you achieved this look?
Thanks, Joel

Silenoz
Flight #6
Flight #6
Belgium

Post by Silenoz »

Dajum... now I really wanted to be a fly to know how hou achieved this.. excellent result...

Me stumbling to get some life in my harriers paintjob, albeit these were kept rather clean

Return to “1/144 Aviation & Aircraft”