Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Fairchild Republic A-10

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
Erik Hendriks
Flight #144
Flight #144
Netherlands

Re: Fairchild Republic A-10

Post by Erik Hendriks »

Mig88 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 15:07

I have the Revell kit in my stash since 1989 and its the LS kit reboxed,
Not entirely true. It has the same parts layout, but unfortunately it's an inferior knock off. Proof of point: the exhausts are molded shut., the landing gear is (over) simplified, the canopy's windscreen is misshapen and the GAU-8' s barrel is placed dead centre where it should be a bit off centre. The same goes for the Ace kit.
Most of the main Revell/ Ace parts (like wings) can be swapped with the original LS/Arii kits.

Oh and Marco? I LOVE YOUR HAWG!!

Erik
Last edited by Erik Hendriks on Tue Apr 02, 2024 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

Tjeskow
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by Tjeskow »

It was indeed wonderful to see this aircraft again during Air Defender 2023. The A-10 is certainly one of my favorite aircraft. Yours is also beautiful in this unusual camouflage pattern. Turned out very nice! Keep those fighters coming ;) Cheers!!!
Think Big, Act Small.....

erix700
Flight #144
Flight #144
Netherlands

Post by erix700 »

MC84: you turned the Platz/F-Toys kit into a very good looking model, great job !
On your pictures I did not notice any missing details, in fact it has all the lumps, bumps and antennae of a recent type.
It looks like it is the only kit of a late type A-10 (is it labeled an A-10C ?).

TonyG2: As Erik Hendriks noted: the Revell A-10 kit (cat.4054, also released in a Matchbox box) was an LS copy done by korean Ace.
Biggest let-down of the Revell/Ace kit is the landing gear which is too tall, apart from that it lacks a lot of small details.
Here is a comparison of parts of the Revell (green) and LS (white) sprues showing some of the diffs:

The Dragon kit is an original mold indeed, it has loads of details but hardly any parts fit properly.
Oddly Revell G reboxed a lot of Dragon kits a decade or so ago, but not the Dragon A-10.

-- Eric.

MC84
Flight #288
Flight #288
Germany

Post by MC84 »

@erix700:
Yes it's labeled as a -C, It looks good so far but the Pylons are bad, the front is straight not angled. There are only 2 on Outboard not 3. There is also the typical multi rack, under the right wing top, for the Sidewinder missing.

Marco

Cobraman
Flight #4
Flight #4
Great Britain

Post by Cobraman »

I compared all the Thunderbolts I could find a while ago. The old LS tooling is still pretty good and accurate in outline, Dragon is a more modern tooling but fit is a bit dubious - I made several Thunderbolts by combining the two. Then there's Heller - looks ok at first but a weird wing sweepback. Matchbox and early Revell re-popped the LS tooling. The 'New' Revell issue is an appalling inaccurate knock-off and really should be disregarded. Since then F-toys have done theirs which I don't have a copy of sadly

Still hoping for a new tool and maybe one day someone will oblige with the NAW-10 two-seat prototype. Domi at Retrokit has some excellent improvements available covering engines, cockpits and undercarriage detail geared to the LS and Dragon versions.
A-10 wing comparison , Dragon (top) , Heller, LS
A-10 wing comparison , Dragon (top) , Heller, LS
A-10 fuselage comparison, Dragon (top), Heller, LS
A-10 fuselage comparison, Dragon (top), Heller, LS
YOV-10 - LS conversion
YOV-10 - LS conversion
A-10 Jaws - LS / Dragon hybrid
A-10 Jaws - LS / Dragon hybrid
FireHog (was nearly) LS
FireHog (was nearly) LS
Dragon
Dragon
A-10M - LS / Dragon hybrid /conversion
A-10M - LS / Dragon hybrid /conversion

Rangi01
Flight #2
Flight #2
New Zealand

Post by Rangi01 »

Hi Marco, I really like the Platz/F-Toys A-10 and you have done a nice job with the re-paint. I have completed the F-Toys version and, due to it being a 'snap fit' there are 2 unsightly lugs on either side of the inside of the canopy that are most pronounced. I had to carefully cut, scrape, sand and polish them off. Does the Platz kit have the same thing?

Cobraman, they are some interesting and unique builds, some real imagination going on there. Top Gun Maverick using navalised A-10's instead of F-18's, just shoot the SAM sites on the way through! :P

Shane

MC84
Flight #288
Flight #288
Germany

Post by MC84 »

Rangi01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:36
Hi Marco, I really like the Platz/F-Toys A-10 and you have done a nice job with the re-paint. I have completed the F-Toys version and, due to it being a 'snap fit' there are 2 unsightly lugs on either side of the inside of the canopy that are most pronounced. I had to carefully cut, scrape, sand and polish them off. Does the Platz kit have the same thing?
Shane
It's not re-paint, the Kit is unpainted ;)

The parts are the same, it has also these lugs, but I left them on.

Marco

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I join with Shane in admiration of that extremely diverse collection of Warthogs, Cobraman. :mrgreen:
OTB ...
GB20 - Lavochkin La-7 (Mark I)
GB25 - Vickers Windsor (Anigrand), Curtiss P-40M Kittyhawk III (AFV Club)
SoS - Douglas C-47B Dakota (Minicraft) and several others :-(

erix700
Flight #144
Flight #144
Netherlands

Post by erix700 »

MC84: on the pics I have of this aircraft in its anniversary livery no multi-Sidewinder rack was fitted, just empty pylons.
Pity about the missing #2 and #10 pylons and the wrong pylon shapes, you corrected the pylon shapes well though.
This feature on TWZ.com has details on the 100th anniversary livery and the pics show that you did a great job :D .

Cobraman: Great job on those A-10 variants !
Do add the pictures of your A-10 versions to the Painting Showcase A-10 thread section !

Doing your own A-10NAW conversion is not that hard (particularly considering the A-10 builds you showed here) and it becomes easier once you notice that the fairing behind the canopy has the exact same diameter as the drop tank halves in the LS/Ace kits have :D

Most of the Heller 1/144 kits released in the 90ies were reboxed CC Lee kits, which in turn are often (decent) copies of other kits, so I never had a look at the Heller A-10 kit myself. Interesting to see that it is not a straight copy but instead has some faults unique to this kit !

-- Eric.

Edit 5Apr2024 : added link to twz.com feature

144flynavy
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star
United States of America

Post by 144flynavy »

Keyboys sell/sold an A-10N/AW LS/Arii conversion (KT44002):

Availability???

NON SECURE LINKS

http://home.v01.itscom.net/keyboys/event/p_event01.html